Macbook Pro help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cchunk, Jul 31, 2012.

1. cchunk macrumors 6502

Hey guys, im new here so don't be too mean. I am thinking about buying a macbook pro but im trying to decide whether or not to wait or not. I know the buyers guide says to get one now but i have a feeling once i do a new one will come out. I know there is the retina display but im not trying to fork out that much for an HD laptop. Would it be best to just buy the Pro or will a Air be okay? im using it for school and personal use. Thanks for the help. :D

2. jacobp89 macrumors newbie

What all would you be doing with it? Will you be running parallels, cs6, any high end programs for school? Both machines are great, but honestly it boils down to what you will be doing with it and personal preference. I love the speed of the Air, but personally went with the Pro. To me, the Pro seemed to be a better choice when I was using it for school. It seemed to handle it better when I was also running Parallels on it.

3. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Right now is a perfect time to purchase - unless you would want a 13inch retina MBP - which MIGHT be coming this fall.

Tell us what you would be using the computer for and we will try to give some pros and cons for different models - also give a price range for us to help you.

4. cchunk thread starter macrumors 6502

well i'd be using it just for assignments and stuff like that. nothing like photoshop or stuff like that. internet and writing essays and stuff.

5. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

If you are going to just use it for those tasks I would recommend an air. With an air you cannot replace the RAM and the SSD is not as user replaceable as a Pro.

6. jacobp89 macrumors newbie

If you're not interested in a 13" rMBP like the previous post says then I would say go for getting one now. If you're just doing basic assignments and surfing then an Air would be able to handle that no problem. Just take into consideration with how much space you will need. 128gb SSD for a baseline 13" Air will fill up a lot faster then a 500gb in the MBP. You could easily install Office on the Air and handle your assignments. Another option to consider is get the 13" Pro and later on upgrade to a good SSD.

7. cchunk thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah, ive been debating on either the pro or air but leaning more towards the air just because i feel like i would drop or break the air with it being so light, plus the memory is greater and i like the option to use CDs lol thanks a lot guys. very helpful stuff. if i had more money i would buy the rMBP for sure but since i dont ill stick with the pro

8. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

For me the only pro of the air is weight - i really like the 13 mbp with many options of user upgrades.

goodluck!