MacBook Pro help :)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Aameiel, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Aameiel macrumors regular

Aameiel

Hi guys thank you for viewing this thread gonna start off with the stats.

MacBook Pro (late 2006) 17 inch
    2.33GHz 2GB ram

First problem that i had with it was that the dvd drive stopped working but since i never use the drive it wasn't a big deal. Few months later i started to notice that on the left side of the screen u can just barely see a red line going from the top to the bottom. Also if u tried to watch a movie or a video in full screen would go red all over the screen, but if u was just on the desktop or surfing the web you wouldn't see it......well now its getting worst :( so what i am asking is..
    is she dieing ? Do you guys think its a problem with the logic board or could it be something with the display? I really love this mac and I've had her for years and any help would be great !!!! and once again thank you for taking the time to view my thread.

-G-

[​IMG]

2. Aameiel thread starter macrumors regular

Aameiel

Ok well i just did a soft were update and now she wont boot up . during bootup at the apple logo the whole screen looks scrambled and then where it loads to desktop the screen is just bright white :(

3. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

4. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

I think it's time to put ol' Bessie out to pasture.

Either one would be far more costly than it's worth. She gave you a good run. Let her go. R.I.P. :(

5. Aameiel thread starter macrumors regular

Aameiel

No picture when i try. :( i guess its just time to let her go and get a new one but ty for coming in !!

6. siberiansun macrumors newbie

The first problem is, that many of these non-unibody-models have the known problem with the graphics chip. Due to the way, the heatsink is connected with the body and the logic board, too much force can get to the graphics chip, then some of the small soldered connections underneath the chip can break. It can be repaired, I also did it on one of these and it worked, I used a gas soldering iron. There are instructions on the web but its not so easy. Better try the repair service you can find on eBay.
    If you stumble acros vertical lines, your screen might also be faulty. But to me it doesn't look like this.

Good luck :)