Macbook Pro Helps

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Casey01, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Casey01 macrumors member

So I finally got a Macbook Pro(First Apple computer) and I am ECSTATIC! :D
    I just have a few questions.

The MBP comes with only 100GB of HDD space. I might need more. So the question is: If I were to upgrade it would it be best to either buy a new internal one? or get an External Drive?

The MBP only comes with OS X Leopard. Is it worth the extra $30 to upgrade?(Or save up for Lion?)

Here are the specs if anyone is interested.

Macbook Pro 15 inch
    Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard
    Processor Type: Core Duo
    Processor Speed(per Core): 2.16Ghz
    Processor Config.: Dual Core
    RAM: 2GB
    HDD Space: 100GB

My other question is. This has 2 cores right? Because it says Dual Core? Also will this easily satisfy my needs of typing documents for school, editing photos, music for iPod, and possibly video editing?

2. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

I might struggle with heavy video editing, as it's only 2.16 C2D... I think that's a what... 2007 MBP? Non-unibody. Means it has the 8600m GT GPU if I recall correctly.

I like snow leopard, and for $30 hard to pass up.

I would put a new internal drive in it... get a 500 or 750GB 7200rpm HDD (I wouldn't bother with an SSD in it, but you could go that route)... that's just me though.

3. Casey01 thread starter macrumors member

It's not going to be heavy. Just some lightly edited snowboarding videos. I'm so HAPPY to be apart of the Apple Community now :D :D

4. Stvwndr219 macrumors 6502

Definitely go internal - externals will be bottlenecked by their transmission platform (i.e. USB, FW, etc).

Definitely go for SL - it's only $30 anyways.

It is a dual core, though you say it's a Core Duo, which may make it an X1600... it may struggle under really heavy load...

Congrats on the new mac!!

5. Casey01 thread starter macrumors member

When you mean really heavy load? Give an example please.

6. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

im not sure if this is heavy load but like high graphics games, intense photshop/adobe applications, final cut pro, things like that i guess

ohh! youre lucky you have a MBP! im still waiting for mine, havent ordered it because my dad's friend's friend is getting us a discount and he said monday and today is tuesday and no email :( and im freaking out in a mild way. lol!

but im getting it before christmas!

7. Casey01 thread starter macrumors member

I don't have it JUST yet. It should be here at the latest next tuesday/wednesday. But the most graphical editing I will do is the HDR effect on my photography. The most video editing is intro's and the such to Snowboarding Videos, and the most gaming would be Civilization V(I love that game). Should that handle it?

8. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

i dont know much for that stuff - im sry, maybe another poster will help out :D

but as far as upgrades go- definitely upgrade the HDD to an SSD! they are more awesomer and cooler and amazinger (if those are words of beauty) and they will make your computer very fast. also invest in some ram too.. get 8 gigs if its cheaper, but 4 gigs will suffice :D

EDIT: CAN YOU POST A DESCRIPTION OF THE MBP ie. the year built, etc. im not sure if you can upgrade the components (someone please check for me!)

9. phas3 macrumors 65816

heavy load as in when rendering videos or converting them to a different format, it will take a bit longer.

if money is an issue don't get an SSD. Instead get 7200rpm HDD, and then upgrade to 8gb of ram.

I would tell you to get an SSD if your HDD wasn't so small. Because even if you get an ssd with a 100gb hdd external it's going to run out fast. That's why I suggest getting an 7200rpm HDD first and later down the road when the SSDs are cheaper you can get an SSD and either optibay your 7200rpm HDD or use it as an external.

10. Casey01 thread starter macrumors member

According to the First poster it's probably a 2007 version. Here are the specs

Macbook Pro 15in
    Processor: 2.16 Ghz Core Duo with 2 cores
    2GB RAM
    100GB HDD

Picture:
    [​IMG]

11. Casey01 thread starter macrumors member

12. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

The RAM and HDD are upgradeable.

That is a fairly low power machine by today's standards but will be fast enough for what you need. The only thing you will struggle with is editing 1080p video.

Don't expect to do any gaming either.

13. Casey01 thread starter macrumors member

Gaming isn't really my thing. And I doubt I'll be doing 1080p Video. But what about watching in HD? Is that going to be an issue?

14. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

Most likely not. I had issues on my Mac Pro (tower) with watching HD content in VLC but I switched to Boxee and now I don't have any issues.

15. JacobHolmes macrumors newbie

JacobHolmes

You might also want to know that this MacBook Pro can handle up to 3GBs of RAM, 4GBs can be installed but only 3 will be addressed.

Sources: MacTracker.app

16. Casey01 thread starter macrumors member

Okay. So my list of to do's is:
    Get 1 more GB of RAM and bigger Hard Drive.
    But should I really get Snow Leopard or just wait till Lion?

17. JacobHolmes macrumors newbie

JacobHolmes

To be completely honest, $30 isn't much at all. Lion isn't out for many months, and you pay monthly for things such as phones, subscriptions, etc. So my view is that you're paying a one time subscription to make you're Mac experience shine for the next half-year or so. :) Lion will be great too, but go ahead and treat your Mac to a nice current operating system for now, if you can afford it of course.