Macbook Pro Hi-REs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SMP 4JC, Apr 18, 2010.

1. SMP 4JC macrumors newbie

has anyone seen the new laptop monitors in person. i havent made it to the store yet and didnt want to waste an hour drive one way to not see any real difference.
    i am ordering the 15" and realize that this is not an output setting on the graphics card so it doesnt benefit a external display.

any feedback?

2. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

I was at a store yesterday, but the high res models were being hogged by a gaggle of kids :(

What do you mean by this? 1680x1050 isn't an output option on the high res models? I don't see why it wouldn't be...

3. Xyp macrumors newbie

15" Hr / Ag

I've been to the Apple Store near me, and played with the i5 / i7 15" MBPs, both with and without the antiglare and high-res screens. The day before, I had pulled the trigger on the HR / AG i7 15", and I was curious about what it looked like, too.

My impressions were as follows- just opinions, obviously...

- The HR screen does make things a tad small on the 15" screen, but it's not crazy stupid small... and obviously you CAN down-res the native HR (1680x1050) screen to what the "normal" 15" (1440x900) looks like if it really bothers you. I think the HR screen would especially benefit video and photo editing, cause you're able to see a pretty significant additional amount of picture.

Here's a recent thread with a pretty good side-by-side: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=898882

- The AG screen is definitely nice, but unless you're going to be outdoors with your MBP, I don't really know if it's necessary. I'm not a fan of the gray bezel around the screen vs. the black- I think it detracts from the overall look of the computer... but oh well, I'll live.

I'll get my MBP in a couple of days here- I'll know more about whether there is any screen fatigue with the 1680x1050 resolution shortly thereafter, I'd imagine... :rolleyes:

I also don't understand what you mean by the 1680x1050 not being a "graphics card" output- I was under the impression that all the resolution choices would be the same with an external display...

4. SMP 4JC thread starter macrumors newbie

What I was saying with the output is the graphics card is the same. So it is a hardware upgrade on the actual monitor itself, I believe

5. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

Yes, the screen/panel itself is upgraded to a maximum resolution of 1680x1050 instead of 1400x900. This results in "things looking smaller", as well as "being able to fit more on the screen."

If you set a display to 1400x900, but it is designed to be used at 1680x1050, it will not appear as sharp. Some people are oblivious to this, strangely enough. Others notice but do not care.

6. SMP 4JC thread starter macrumors newbie

that actually makes sense. i went down this afternoon and looked at the 17" cause the store didnt have the 15. i noticed when i changed the setting that it did seem that way, not as crisp.