MacBook Pro "hidden" key combinations

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Blondie :), Jul 10, 2011.

1. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

Hello everyone,

Recently I have been learning some of apple's "hidden" key combinations for their computers.

Some of the things that I have learned so far:
    Pressing Shift+control+eject = turn your keyboard and screen off immediately while keeping computer on

Presssing option+space bar while looking at a pdf in finder = view the pdf in full screen mode.

Pressing control+option+command+8 = invert screen colors in order to preserve battery life (darker pixels = longer life).

Does anyone else know of any interesting key combinations to make tasks on the mac easier?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Control-Eject = Brings up the Power Menu, giving you the options to sleep, restart and shutdown

TEG

3. Blondie :) thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. Jungiii macrumors member

Isnt the color invert hard on the eyes? what other uses is the inverted color for other than saving battery life? (if that is one in fact).

5. Mrguidogenio macrumors regular

Mrguidogenio

You are wrong, dude. The inverted color are there only to help people with certain eyes problem. It has nothing to do with saving battery energy.

6. Blondie :) thread starter macrumors 6502a

Honestly, I don't know. Personally, inverting the colors doesn't hurt my eyes, but I definitely don't prefer it. Does anyone have any thoughts on what other benefits inverting colors would have?

Inverting colors should increase battery life though, shouldn't it? More black pixels = less LCD usage = slightly greater battery life? That's what I've always been under the assumption of

7. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Sorry, but inverting the colors = worse battery life on LCDs. LCDs use more power to remain black as opposed to CRTs which use more power to light up the screen. Not that the savings or drainages are going to be significant compared to actually running the LCD...

8. Blondie :) thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well that's quite interesting. Never knew that before. Thanks :) haha

9. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

Maybe it wasn't invented to preserve battery life but if definitely does save battery life. The color white being displayed on a screen takes up the most energy and resources because it needs to be made using almost a full color spectrum whereas darker black or brownish colors require much less energy and color. And we all know how much google and apple love their white backgrounds in stuff

See blackle.com

10. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

I can field this one -- as a member of the dodgy eyes clan, I find it much easier to read block text when using the white-on-black setting. I find it's particularly useful on the iPhone.

11. WiBu macrumors member

The inverted display is for accessibility, it is intended to be used by those who have very poor eyesight. IIRC there is an option for it in the Universal Access settings.

12. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Sorry, no. Already been disproven above. In order for a LCD display to turn a pixel black, it must rotate the crystal (all three actually) in order to fully block the light, where for white it simply doesn't run a current at all, which allows all the light to pass through. A little more knowledge of display technology would help here.

jW

13. snaky69 macrumors 603

Longer battery life? No. Not true at all, it takes the same amount of power. Your backlight is what is drawing most of the juice in the display, not the LCD panel itself.

Edit:Guess I was beat to it.

14. Blondie :) thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm really confused then...why does blackle.com say that it has conserved so many kilowatt hours if every LCD display that views the site consumes more power?

15. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

1) It assumes you are using an old-school CRT and therefore

2) It's wrong

16. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

tree huggers don't care if they're right, as long as it sounds good...

17. Blondie :) thread starter macrumors 6502a

+1 for sure on that one. Well it sounds like blackle.com should update their results then so we can see the kilowatt hours start counting backwards.