macbook pro high cpu while off charger

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by porky2017, Aug 21, 2014.

1. porky2017 macrumors member

porky2017

Hi forum.

my macbook pro mid 2011 i5 8 g ram, everytime i take it off the charger it goes crazy with nearly 100 percent high cpu, & its barely usable, the i stat cpu gauge
    is full but soon as i put it back on the charger you can see the cpu just drop straight away back to normal & it is usable again.

Can a faulty battery cause these panics my battery has only 336 cycles not even half its life span. I read somewhere this guy had the same problem & he replaced the battery & solved his problem so i aint sure, i dont want to rush out & buy a new battery & it doesnt solve my problem.
    At the moment I have applied the workaround which is helping but i dont seem to be getting full power of the cpu..

Thanx in advance forum..
    link http://www.rdoxenham.com/?p=259

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What does the activity monitor say when on the battery? What processes are eating up your cycles?

3. porky2017 thread starter macrumors member

porky2017

on battery kernel task is like 4 percent when you take it of the charger it goes
    up to 100 percent the cpu box on stat menus is fully red .

the kernel task seems to be the culprit.

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

I'd repair disk permissions and if that does resolve it do an OSX reinstall, then a fresh install, if it then shows the issue still it will need hardware attention I think.

At the moment it could just be the charger interface code messed up,hence the above. If you have a good existing backup you can skip straight to the fresh install after the permissions repair...if not then take a backup before doing anything.