macbook pro high res glossy upgrade worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tim100, Nov 16, 2010.

?

glossy high res upgrade worth it

1. yes

23 vote(s)
    85.2%
  2. no

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  1. tim100 macrumors 65816

is the glossy high res upgrade worth it? the glossy high res is not carried in stores like the high res anti glare. is the glossy upgrade worth a bto order?

2. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

Yes, IMO it's worth it, and I "studied" this question for a while. There's a couple of long threads on the question. IMO, most users say high rez for sure, but there's a passionate debate on anti-glare v. glossy.

3. tim100 thread starter macrumors 65816

there are many threads with glossy vs anti glare. i was wondering how many have gone online and bto glossy high res. the apple store only offers anti glare in high res not glossy.

4. EvilEvil macrumors 6502

EvilEvil

Unless you use your MBP in the sun. I don't see why you shouldn't get it.

5. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

Abso-fraggin-lutely. I got the HRG for the main reason of the glossy looking better to my eyes and the resolution. I have been personally waiting a while for 1680x1050 in MBP and it looks great.

The fact that it's glass makes it easier to clean as well. If you order an AG, you have to keep it really clean or else...

6. ridingforlife macrumors member

I got the high-res anti-glare because I hate glossy screens, and I love it! I don't find it hard to keep clean at all, colours are bright, etc. But if there's no question and you want glossy, I would upgrade to high-res.

7. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I've had my Hi-Res Glossy 15" i7 MBP for over six months now. I've been thrilled with it as have my clients. I get a lot of oooh's and aaaaah's, looks fantastic.

8. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

I have to agree...the glass gives it a much sleeker look.

9. mongoos150 macrumors 6502a

mongoos150

Without question! Unless you have poor eyesight, the increased resolution makes everything sharper, clearer, and it boosts the amount of information you can have on the screen. Ups productivity even.

I ordered mine BTO glossy high-res. Everything just pops more, colors are richer and more saturated - plus the glass is easier to clean in my opinion than the matte option. Matte, I understand, is 'proper' for color professionals, but for the rest of us, the glossy option is much more pleasing to the eye. Glare has never been an issue for me.

10. SidBala macrumors 6502a

11. croooow, Nov 17, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2010

croooow macrumors 65816

croooow

I have not ordered it yet, but I am planning on getting a 15 inch with High Res Glossy.

I went to an Apple store and looked at the standard glossy and anti-glare next to each other (I had to turn one around, they had all AG on one side of the table and all glossy on the other. It was not crowded that day so I did not cause a problem with other store browsers) I loved the increased resolution but preferred the glossy screen. So even though I will have to wait a bit longer, I think it will be worth doing the BTO on it to get HR and Glossy at once, The Best of Both Worlds!.

12. Euroamerican macrumors member

Euroamerican

If I were getting a 15, I would get hi-res. But, the standard 15 is awesome too. The high-res is even more so.

I personally ended up getting a 13 glarebook. I have to say that the shiny screen has not been a problem for me. I was really worried about that. I do sometimes wish I'd gone with the 15 , regarding the fact that I just can't size windows as big as I'd like them. But, I knew that going in , and I plan to buy a Cinema Display someday.

If you can afford the big jump in price from a 13 to a 15, you might as well go the extra way and spend another 50 to 150.00 for the screen options of your choice.