Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hotrats

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Every time i open my new MacBook Pro lid this strange clicking sound comes from the hinge. Now, i have taken my MacBook pro to the Apple Store about 5 times now. And every time they take it in for about 2 days, say they have fixed the issue. And the clicking/creaking noise is still present. When i showed the Apple store genius he clearly saw it was their and said it would be fixed. yesterday i actually picked up the MacBook Pro from the genius bar after it was apparently 'fixed' and unsurprisingly the hinge was still clicking when the lid was opened. Also if you click down on the black plastic strip on the MacBook pro you can hear a clicking sound coming from it, and this is a very annoying. So i have pretty much given up as i don't know what i should do i really can't afford to be going back and forth to the Apple store as i need this Laptop for school, but this problem is extremely irritating. So, what should i do? Should i go to the Apple store again or should i sell the laptop and buy a new one. I'm really scared to just ignore it because it sounds like the hinge could break.

TheJing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2011
Somewhere in Europe
I think I had the same issue as you.

I opened it up and realigned the black plastic part and the sound disappeared.

If you look closely you will see that it is probably not in the middle. We are talking millimeters though, so look closely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.