MacBook Pro Hinge

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iPad Retina, Jun 28, 2015.

1. iPad Retina macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

hello I have a MacBook Pro hinge and it seems to be really loose! One side is extremely loose and one side is too too tight I find. I can hear my right hinge making a torking sound. The left side is loose at the point where you flip your computer up side down you can hear this sudden drop sound.
    It has already been tighten by Apple, and they say the only way is to replace the screen. $850 before taxes!!!! I don't know if it has anything to do with the hinge being reajusted. It was already loose but it ha seemed to have gotten a lot losser. what should I do? How does it even get loose in the first place?

2. brtate2 macrumors newbie

It might be an easy fix if it is what I think it is. If you look at ifixit's website at their teardown of the 2012 Macbook Pro 15" with Retina display, it shows that there are 3 screws on each hing mounting plate (a hing mount is on each side of the display, so 6 screws total).

If the issue is with those screws working loose then all you have to do is remove the bottom cover of the laptop, lift the sticky tape covering the hinge mounts on either end of the display, and tighten those screws. If they continually work themselves loose again you can buy some loctite and add a tiniest drop to each screw to prevent them working loose again. *Note: you might have to buy a special screwdriver to fit the screws if you don't already have it.

When I disassembled my macbook pro, the hinge screws were on MEGA-tight from the factory. I do not think one end of your hinge display is mounted too tight, but it is probably feeling that way because of the loose end causing unequal torque being applied to one side of the hinge. In other words, tightening the loose side might fix the creaking sound and making it open smoother.

But if the issue is with the hinge assembly itself and not simply the hing mounting points then it may be more involved. But I still wouldn't replace the whole $800+ display assembly just for that reason. There's got to be a way to replace the entire hinge if it went bad... but I suspect it is simply the hing mounting plates that are loose.