Macbook pro hooked up to TV, not working

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johnpc, Sep 21, 2010.

1. johnpc macrumors member

I posted a thread earlier about how to hook up my TV to my macbook pro. Since shipping, etc took so long I decided to post a new thread for this new problem.

I successfully hooked up my new macbook pro to my old RCA-only television. I did this by using Apple's miniDisplayPort to VGA adapter then a VGA to RCA cable connected to that, then the RCA plugs in to the TV.

However, this does not work. The screen is black with only moving strips of "white noise" that is not on the TV when the cables are unplugged. When messing with the Display settings in System Preferences, these "white noise" strips react but the actual video is not working. Help?

2. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

digital signal needs to be converted into analog

3. johnpc thread starter macrumors member

Ok. I looked up some digital to analog converter boxes ranging upwards of 300 dollars. Is that what it takes to hook a macbook pro up to television? Also how would I add a converter box to the mess of wires I already have attaching my TV and my laptop?

4. moel macrumors 6502

Take a look at this thread

The problem would appear to be, that your TV is far far far far far far far too old and in need of a replacement. I can't really think of any current flat screen tv that doesn't have either hdmi vga or dvi in these days.

So if I were you, i'd splash out on a new TV..rather than a convertor box, which in my mind is a poor uneasy to use solution.