MacBook Pro, horizontal line across the screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by philharg159, Sep 27, 2009.

1. philharg159 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a new MacBook Pro (A1286) 2.66Ghz which is just over two weeks old. Whilst watching a video on YouTube a horizontal line appeared across the screen. I tried rebooting, however, the line was still present. I have tried switching between the 9400/9600 and the line is still visible.

The line is still there when I boot the laptop into Windows, does it look like I have a faulty GPU/logicboard on my brand new MacBook?
    Here's a photo of the problem.

http://s645.photobucket.com/albums/uu179/philharg159/?action=view&current=screen1.jpg

I phoned my local reseller who said they would have swapped it out if it was within their 2 week exchange policy, but I've had it for 17 days.

I will phone Apple support tomorrow and try to get it exchanged, anyone else had a problem like this?

2. philharg159 thread starter macrumors newbie

I hope they don't want me to send it off for a repair.

I just wondered if anyone else had experienced the same problem on this particular model of MacBook and how it was dealt with.

3. gwerhart0800 macrumors 6502

I purchased a base 15" MBP a month ago and took it home only to find that it had a single top-to-bottom line just right of the center of the display. I returned it to the Apple store the next day. The "Genius" helping me stated off the cuff that they would not charge me the 10% restocking fee. (I was extremely ticked off!) In general, they should never mention a restocking fee when a customer is returning a defective product for replacement within 24 hours of the original purchase. I was already cheesed about having to drive back to the store, but that really pushed my buttons.

I have owned countless laptops and LCD displays ... I have only had two defects in all of these:

1. My first LCD, a 15" Viewsonic that cost me $1200 had one stuck white pixel in the middle of the display. (That display ended up in Paris at France Telecom Labs in a basement machine room ... I will never see it again!)
    2. This MacBook Pro.

Based on the stories of others, I have been very lucky!

4. philharg159 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I've just spoken to apple support and I'm pleased to say that they are exchanging my MacBook Pro:)

I thought that they would only offer me a repair as I am outside of their 14 day exchange policy. However, I was put through to a very helpfull customer relations rep who agreed to exchange the MacBook Straight away.

It's my first experience with Apple customer support and I've got to say I'm really happy with the outcome.

5. davidalbertosv macrumors newbie

Got same problem

Hey, I've got the same problem, but my warranty and service is already over.

Bought Mac on early 2011
    Wite line on late 2012

I decided to live with it, when it suddenly fixed itself. It lasted about two weeks and then the line appeared again.

I was thinking in changing the LCD myself, as the replacement is about $50, and unlicensed service is $280 (Licensed = $700) including the LCD.

I am currently living with it.

The price, I got it from:

https://www.laptopscreen.com/English/model/Apple/MACBOOK~PRO~13~Unibody~Model~A1278/

Feb 2013