MacBook Pro - Horrible Resolution...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by drbigfresh, Dec 2, 2008.

1. drbigfresh macrumors newbie

So i have a brand new macbook pro, and I hooked it up to my dell 30" monitor (dell3007wfphc), and I can't get the resolution to go over 1280x800. My old macbook pro gave me 2560x1600.

Anyone else having this issue? Anyone have any suggestions? (tried switching processors in power management).

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well considering the dual-link adapter isn't out yet, you can only get to 1920x1200 with the current single-link adapter. To be able to use 2560x1600, you need the dual-link adapter.

You need this:
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB571Z/A

3. drbigfresh thread starter macrumors newbie

well, i guess that would explain it :eek:

Dohhhhhhh.

4. UbuntuFu macrumors regular

what's ridiculous is that they want $99 bucks for it. wtf, my classic mbp can power the 30" with no additional adapter.

5. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

I agree. Makes me want to become a cable manufacturer...

6. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Single link DVI can be derived directly from DisplayPort, however, dual link requires hardware to transform the signal. Thus, one could imagine why the dual link adapter costs so much more and has a USB plug to power it.

Though I do agree... having a DVI port would have been nice on the new MBP...

7. steffi macrumors 6502a

I had this issue with my MacBook Air. Are you sure you've got Mirroring turned off? I had my Air doing 1600x1200 so I know the MBP will give you what you're looking for.

8. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

9. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

How much of that $100 goes to Apple? I know they're opening up the display port thing, but hasn't apple always got a piece of that pie?

That's why ipod accessories are so expensive...if something's made for iPod, and and Steve and Jony don't get their share, they let loose their army of flying monkeys on the offender.

10. JoetheBastard macrumors member

maybe that dual link support will be on the new 17" ? that would be awesome! it would be also great if the new 17" had firewire...... :mad:

11. Shawn Parr macrumors regular

You do realize the current 15" still has firewire right? They dropped one port, but the previous model only had one controller anyway so functionally it is the same. Only the 13" dropped firewire.

12. JoetheBastard macrumors member

my bad. meant to mention that it was a firewire 400 port that I miss.:eek:

13. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

It has FW800 so if you want FW400, you need yet again, another adapter.... I thought SJ liked clean and uncluttered computers. I bet the MBP looks kinda weird with all these extra cables and adapters coming out of it to get all the late 2008 MBP working like early 2008 MBP that didn't need all these adapters. Anyone have a picture of their desktop with all these adapters coming out of it?

14. amoda macrumors 6502a

I'm really pissed over all these adapter stuff that I have to deal with now. I've been using a FW400 external with my MBP but with the new one I now have to get a cable. The cheapest one I found was $25+tax, a quarter of what I paid for the external!

Also, when I bought my first MBP (1.83CD) it came with both a remote and a DVI adapter. Now it comes with neither of these and instead with a cloth. Which I, by the way, have several off (they came with my sunglasses, old laptops, tv screen cleaner).

So I've had to go buy a $45.75 worth of adapters to get my new MBP to do what my old MBP did for free.

Blah.

15. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Cables are cheap.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=firewire&x=0&y=0

16. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

I think it's doing 1280x800 instead of 1920x1200 because your Dell doesn't have an internal scaler..but I could be wrong.

17. amoda macrumors 6502a

Not in my city. Futureshop doesn't carry the cables, neither does Staples. The website your linked to is in the Sates. Only place that I could find that has a cable is The Source, called Radio Shack in the US I believe, and they have them for $25.

18. MKnight macrumors regular

MKnight

The problem is you're buying cables at the worst retail stores that have very high mark up.

Try NCIX as they have a store in Richmond, Burnaby, and Surrey (if you're in BC that is).

www.ncix.com