MacBook Pro Horror Story (Happy Ending)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pianoman181, Jun 13, 2008.

1. pianoman181 macrumors regular

So, just thought I'd share this...

Almost exactly a year ago, I bought a 15" 2.4GHz Santa Rosa MacBook Pro for my first year at college. From the start, I knew the machine was going to be trouble. The screen had a bad flicker about it and would occasionally half the screen would turn grey as well as mouse/keyboard responsiveness issues that got progressively worse. After a while, it was unuseable, so:

Apple Store trip #1... took an hour long bus ride (each way) to the Apple Store to drop it off to the Genius to be told it would have to be repaired and they did not have the parts in stock. Go back a week or so later, replaced the entire Display Clamshell (LCD, hinge, camera), top assembly (trackpad and the surrounding aluminum), and the keyboard.

Hooray, my machine should be all set. Not so much. Less than a month later, everything was working alright more or less and I'm in class and the machine just turns itself off after 20 minutes on a full charge. Somehow I went from 4+ hours of battery life to only 20 minutes or so. So:

Apple Store trip #2... took the same bus to the Apple Store and the genius reset the SMC and the problem persisted, so he replaced the battery as well as the power supply--as sometimes the LED would not illuminate at all. All was good

Hooray! I hope this is it. Nope. Slowly but surely the replaced display started to get wiggly. It just got more and more loose as if it was never screwed in all the way and the screw was slowly working it's way out. The trackpad responsiveness was still awful and a new symptom... the backlit keyboard's backlight no longer function. Awesome. Just, f****** awesome. Soooo....

Apple Store trip #3... took that same bus to the Apple Store and the genius took it in for repairs and I left it again for about a week. This time, they replaced the display clamshell (again), the top assembly (again), the keyboard (again), the logic board, the left I/O board, and the DC-in board. Cool.

Hooray! This HAS to be it. I mean... what else could go wrong? Silly me, the DVD drive wasn't replaced yet, so naturally that was the next thing to succumb. Plus, upon awakening from sleep, I was greeted to the attached image on occasion--that is--when it woke up at all. Therefore, Wednesday...

I called. And believe it or not, they just wanted to set it up for a repair again. I said whoa no. You can just keep it. I don't want it anymore. So, they're replacing it with a 2.6GHz 15" MBP. I certainly hope this one works out better. It should be here sometime between Tuesday and Thursday next week :)

Attached Files:

• mac.jpg
      mac.jpg
      File size:
      70.7 KB
      Views:
  2. beyondthesmile macrumors 6502a

Wow, LOL. That sounds like quite the run you had with that first MBP. I'm glad you are getting it replaced...my fingers are crossed that this one is problem-free! :)

3. amusiccale macrumors 6502

Wow. A nightmare so far--let us know how things turn out when you get the 2.6.

4. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

Good on Apple for replacing it. That one looks fecked

5. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

How did you know it was the "Same Bus" you used for your 2nd and 3rd trip? :)

6. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

I had a lemon G5 that Apple replaced with an Octo Mac Pro after a series of hardware failures. Apple can be frustrating but they eventually do the right thing.

7. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

if i was working at the apple store i would have given you a new one on the second time! this is crazy!

(i apply alot at the apple store, but never get a call) ): ):

and i really now alot! every time i go to the apple store those kids ask me if i need help, i never accept! they dont know jack! really.. your better off researching a little before you want to buy something ;)

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Good to know everything is sorted out; too bad I had to pay for the 2.6GHz... :rolleyes:

9. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Jeez man, that sucks. At least you're getting a new MBP! Good luck!

10. pianoman181 thread starter macrumors regular

Well the new MBP arrived today. Finally a machine that doesn't suck!

The display is a Samsung panel and isn't yellow and is backlit evenly. No dead pixels. Cosmetically everything is good. Functionally everything is even better. I'm so happy lol.

11. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

aww thats great enjoy!!!;)