Macbook Pro Horror Story, What to do

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aaronacw, May 17, 2009.

1. aaronacw macrumors newbie

I bought a Santa Rosa Macbook Pro in November 2007 and since then, it has been nothing but trouble for me.For the first year it was perfect, but since then it has been in repair 5 times with the screen changed, dvd drive changed, topcase changed 3 times, and out of the last 8 months, it has been at apple for almost a month. Now, I am getting a "cannot calibrate laser strength" message, and I have almost had it with this computer, the topcase has been scratched due to faulty attachment of the screen and it feels like the topcase is coming loose. I am a student and this is my primary machine to do work on. What can I do? How can I get a replacement? because this is ridiculous. The thing is, is that the machine is not of merchantile quality. Also, the machine has never been dropped.

Thanks
    Aaron

2. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

Go to the apple store or call them and tell them what you've been through. Say that you don't have the time for them to fix their mistakes. Ask that they fix it, but also mention you wanting them to replace it. Be nice, but firm. A couple years ago my friend went through repair after repair. After 5 times they replaced it with the latest model of similar specs.

3. youssefm macrumors 6502

I suggest you call apple care over the phone, and speak to customer relations because that is unacceptable, I would wait patiently, but be firm and demanding over the phone, and ask for a replacement, I think they should do it.

4. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

I suggest that you talk to Customer Relations as well. I got a burn from my laptop on my finger a month ago. I talked to Customer Support and they didn't even offer to have me send it in to take a look at it. The fourth time I called, the tech told me to send it in and they would take a look at it. He promised that they would replace the keyboard because a little of the plastic actually melted. Anyways, I got my computer back and they didn't replace the keyboard... they replaced the left fan. Of course I was mad.. I turned on the computer and heard clinking sounds from the left fan. It sounded like something was stuck. So I closed my computer and found that the repair tech had dented the outside of the display. I called Apple again and asked to speak to Customer Relations and they set me up with a new computer and apologized. I went to pick the computer up that night at the Apple Store.

The moral of the story.. call until you get what you want. It took me five calls. Your situation is pretty bad so I doubt Customer Relations would argue about giving you a replacement computer.

5. JDee macrumors 6502a

Do you live in the UK?

If so - I have an email address for you. I had my iMac sent away twice and never got it back for a few months and I got £70 from a very kind person + Apple Care for three years completely free of charge.

6. schalkse macrumors member

Can not calibrate laser just means your lens is dirty. Get a cd for cleaning your drive. Should be fixed then.

7. techie4life macrumors 6502

I have a friend who has gone through almost the same thing with Apple. By being persistent, he has gotten a new MacBook Pro (about a year ago, his old one was always in for repairs) which he sold, bought a new unibody MacBook, which was also in for repairs too much so they gave him a new one, and a new iPhone as well. Like these other guys have been saying, just let them know your situation without being angry at them, and you never know what could happen!

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You should have asked for a replacement about 5 repairs ago. ;)

Call AppleCare, and then ask to speak to customer relations.

9. techie4life macrumors 6502

You never know what a little conversation can yield until you try! Good luck!

10. aaronacw thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, thanks for all the help
    I have already tried contacting customer relations, but here in Singapore, the policy is no replacements until three major repairs.
    Thanks
    Aaron

11. Scorch07 macrumors 6502

They don't consider three case changes, a screen change, and a drive change three major repairs? I think I might try another call if I were you.

12. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

Ask them to define "major repairs".

13. Bauer24 macrumors regular

Laser power calibration eh? Hmm, were you trying to burn something at the time? If so, the first thing I would try is a new or different brand of blank media.