Macbook Pro Hot, then cold.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Shawnstra, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Shawnstra macrumors regular

Here is what happens since yesterday. At first, when I first turn it on, it is obviously cold. Then, about half an hour, it becomes insanely hot, even the left speaker grill feels hot, then, I prop it up for a while, and for the rest of the day, it runs quite cool?

Enclosure base based on iStat Pro is 40deg C when its hot, and drops by 5deg C later.

Does anyone know what is causing this? The activities I do are pretty much the same, just browsing the web.

2. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

3. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

next time the MacBook is heating up, you could open up the terminal and run "top". it will give you a list of what's running, and what's using your processors.

type "man top" in the terminal for more information.

or you can install istat menus for a more friendly solution. you can click on the cpu graph, and it will list the top processes.

it might be something like spotlight indexing that is making the computer hot.

but if it is always when you are on the internet, then it's probably flash. the osx version of flash isn't very efficient and tends to use a fair bit of cpu time. (are you youtubing etc. when the computer is warming up?)

4. Shawnstra thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I was using Youtube, but I was also using Youtube when it was cooler. Thanks though :) Btw, the temperatures are better now. It was really bad yesterday that my fans had to go up to 2500rpms, and that is without smcFanControl, but it all went fine after proping the laptop up.

5. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

yeah it could have been a combination of both flash (youtube) and spotlight indexing, or another resource intensive process producing the heat.

if its fine now, then great, but you now know what to check if it's to happen again :)

6. Shawnstra thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, i'll keep an eye on it for the next few days. It couldn't be the weather too btw because I am in a air conditioned room the whole day at the same temperature setting.

7. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

8. TXBDan macrumors regular

40C is quite cool. My 'early '08' MBP normally runs around 45-47C sitting on a laptop stand w/ a fan cooler. When i run folding at home it runs at round 76-80C, but the fans always stay around 2000-2100 rpm. (2000rpm is the minimum).

fwiw, w/o the cooling laptop stand, it can hold 80Cish while folding, but the computer fans run at 4-5000rpm. 6krpm is max.

9. Shawnstra thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I think it is Youtube, I tried just browsing non-flash sites and it was rather cool (even cooler than before? It used to be much hotter last time) and it was cool, and I decided to watch some Youtube and it heated up. However, it takes a long time to cool down.