MacBook Pro ; How long will it last?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pic620, Jul 18, 2009.

1. pic620 macrumors member

I was considering coughing up the $$$ for the SSD, but if I do that I expect the computer to last me at least four years. How do you think these stats would stand up against time?

MacBook Pro
    2.4 GHz
    2GB memory
    128GB Solid State Drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

2. mrj205 macrumors regular

well since we don't know what you will use it for, it is hard to give the most accurate opinion, but i'd say yes, it will be fine for 4+ years

3. pic620 thread starter macrumors member

Basic web browsing, documents, photo, video, mp3, etc. The durability of the SSD is the major draw for me. The idea that drives are destined to fail is kindof laughable to me, but then again, my mind tends to think it lives in the 22nd century.

4. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

It depends on your current and future usage; that said, "coughing up" for the SSD isn't going to really change whether the computer will hold up for 4 years or not. Yes, the SSD has a drastically increased lifespan when compared to the regular HDD, but a regular HDD with no premature failure usually lasts around 5 years or so, as a very conservative estimate. Your processor, ram, graphics card, etc are much more likely to be holding you back in 4 years than HDD vs SSD.

5. pic620 thread starter macrumors member

Would you recommend just getting an HHD and investing in more RAM and processor speed instead? I'm just overly concerned about hard drive failures. Haha.

6. gavin83209 macrumors regular

To further elaborate on that, the current MacBook Air ships standard with a 120 GB 4200 RPM HDD. By contrast, my 6 year old PowerBook shipped with a 60 GB 4200 RPM HDD. When it comes to the longevity of the computer, data speed isn't quite as important as storage capacity.

Yes, I would. SSDs from Apple are still in the $600 range. I would wait a few years when prices are a bit lower and then consider one. SSDs fail too. I'm not sure if they have SMART or not, but on a HDD, you can open Disk Utility and check for the SMART status of your disk which basically tells you if you have an imminent failure or not. If you go in there to repair permissions on a regular basis, have a look at that section, or use this application.

Is that an old October-model 15" or a newer 13"? If it is a 15", you can bump the processor up a few hundred megahertz and buy an SSD when prices drop/you have the money/you need one later.

7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I'd get a prior version 2.66 unibody mbp refurbed, and wait a year or so for ssd and ram prices to drop. The 2.66, unlike the slightly older 2.53, can take up to 8 gigs of ram, and an ssd would go in either.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

A G4 iMac does any of these things. Any recent Intel machine will last you many years.

9. Justin Lee macrumors member

Reliability

The only way to guarantee reliability is to buy the AppleCare. You know you have a rocksolid laptop for 3 years. :)