MacBook Pro Hurts Eyes

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Garbag3man117, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Garbag3man117 macrumors member

Garbag3man117

I bought a Late 2011 17" MacBook Pro in April with the glossy screen. It's absolutely wonderful, and there has been no problems with it, except that it's starting to be uncomfortable to look at. It just seems like it hurts my eyes, and I want to squint my eyes when I look at the screen.

Granted, I do use it 8 hours+ a day, but I've looked at my 18" LCD screen 8 hours+ for the past 3 years and I've never experienced the effect. Yeah, I've got quite a bit of time on my hands :D

Is there any reason for this, and if so, is there a way to fix it? I might end up buying an Apple TV so I can just use my LCD TV as the monitor, but I'd rather not spend the money. Thanks for any help!

2. simsaladimbamba

It is probably due to the higher resolution (1920 x 1200 pixel) compared to your 18" LCD. I had the same problem when I got my 17" in 2009 but got used to it and try to enlarge texts I have to read.

3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

4. Gorms macrumors 6502

Gorms

I'm not sure it's the Mac. I think you need to get your eyes checked.

5. Garbag3man117 thread starter macrumors member

Garbag3man117

Honestly, I don't think so. I had a laptop before my Mac, granted it was smaller, but I used it for four years and never had this problem. It's only with the Mac.

Is the Mac screen an LED or LCD?

----------

That's what I thought was weird also. No matter what brightness setting I have it on, full blast, in the middle, or almost all the way down, it still feels uncomfortable.

6. simsaladimbamba

It is both, it is an LCD using LED backlight.

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

There's certainly a reason or reasons for it but what the specific reason(s) is/are depends on your eyes and you'll probably need to do some trial-and-error to sort it out. What causes eyestrain isn't the same for everyone (evidenced by prior threads on eyestrain). It could be the glossy screen. It could be the resolution. It could be display settings such as brightness, etc.

At least you have a known good data point to work with.

TV's generally make for terrible monitors anyway.

8. Garbag3man117 thread starter macrumors member

Garbag3man117

Alright, I'll have to try some things. Thanks for everyone's help.

9. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Must be your eyes then.

10. Gorms macrumors 6502

Gorms

The main reason I say this that I was complaining about similar symptoms a month ago, everyone told me to get my eyes checked. Turns out I need glasses. Not a strong prescription by any means but it's finally happened; after 10 years of staring at screens my eyes are slightly knackered.