MacBook Pro I wish Apple would make.

Salty Pirate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2005
kansas city
I want a 15 air.

I love the air form factor but 13 is too small after having a 15 retina screen.

The current 15 pro is heavy. Love the tapered air design. easier to type on and handle.

10nm quad core 7-10 watt processor.
8 or 16 GB RAM
Starts with 256GB SSD
No Touch Bar, tradition Fkeys but the Touch ID sensor like the air has.
4 USB-C ports and headphone jack
discrete graphics
make it thinner and lighter, 3 pound max
same big trackpad as pro

I use my computer for basic office apps and browsing, I just want snappy performance, no hiccups and an awesome big screen. Kinda like the idea of a low wattage processor and longer battery life vs 6 cores at 45 watts, I never need or use all that power.

I would buy that computer in a heartbeat.

Ploki

macrumors 68040
Jan 21, 2008
It really makes no sense that you can only get the 15" in a super expensive overkill-for-most-people configuration. Should've offered a Quad/Iris Pro version, i doubt most people would opt for the hot hot hot 6-cores.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2015
I want a 15 air.

I love the air form factor but 13 is too small after having a 15 retina screen.

The current 15 pro is heavy. Love the tapered air design. easier to type on and handle.

10nm quad core 7-10 watt processor.
8 or 16 GB RAM
Starts with 256GB SSD
No Touch Bar, tradition Fkeys but the Touch ID sensor like the air has.
4 USB-C ports and headphone jack
discrete graphics
make it thinner and lighter, 3 pound max
same big trackpad as pro

I use my computer for basic office apps and browsing, I just want snappy performance, no hiccups and an awesome big screen. Kinda like the idea of a low wattage processor and longer battery life vs 6 cores at 45 watts, I never need or use all that power.

I would buy that computer in a heartbeat.

I want a McBoo Pro that has actual Pro features kind how Apple Seprates the iPad and iPad Pro tablets with distinct features.

#1. Pro Elite Black Color or Dark Grey Color
#2. Enhanced luxury black box and packaging
#3. 120Hz ProMotion Display TechniColor Certified Display
#4. $500 Pro AppleCare exclusive support.
#5. Limited Restricted Sale requires - Proof Of being a Professional. Detailed Identification credentials needed from the MPAA, Screen Actors Guild. Recording Professionals Certificates, News Credential or Press ID. Something that shows you Belowng to an Acredited. Film, Or Music association, or Sports, or Medical Association (Not that you are a “Youtuber” or Content creator or influencer)
#6. External optional Extended Battery
#7. Dedicated on board Security chip and FaceID and TouchID Encryption
#9. First party body armor, rubber or foam removable shell meant for rugged use when needed made by Apple.
#10. Demo models at Apple Stores, can only be Orderd via Professional Organization sales.
#11. Internal 5G LTE modem model, available for First Responders Can Only be Ordered through City Governements for Police and Fire Departments and Emergency response staff.

Oh and all Models are made in the USA certified numbered and inspected and they cost $8,000
The model with the 5G LTE costs $9,000
There are Only 2 Models
M.2 NVME drives are swapable RAM is fixed at 32GB

leman

macrumors G4
Oct 14, 2008
#5. Limited Restricted Sale requires - Proof Of being a Professional. Detailed Identification credentials needed from the MPAA, Screen Actors Guild. Recording Professionals Certificates, News Credential or Press ID. Something that shows you Belowng to an Acredited. Film, Or Music association, or Sports, or Medical Association (Not that you are a “Youtuber” or Content creator or influencer)
I have already been warned by moderators for insulting users, but... seriously?

Ploki

macrumors 68040
Jan 21, 2008
I want a McBoo Pro that has actual Pro features kind how Apple Seprates the iPad and iPad Pro tablets with distinct features.

#9. First party body armor, rubber or foam removable shell meant for rugged use when needed made by Apple.
#10. Demo models at Apple Stores, can only be Orderd via Professional Organization sales.
#11. Internal 5G LTE modem model, available for First Responders Can Only be Ordered through City Governements for Police and Fire Departments and Emergency response staff.

Oh and all Models are made in the USA certified numbered and inspected and they cost $8,000
There are Only 2 Models
Not sure whether this is satire or not, but I'll bite
#1 kinda like space grey lol?
#2 packaging?! Mac Pros came in black boxes.
#5 Which company does that?!
#7 They have it, it's called a T2 chip, and people hate it.
#9 i actually wouldn't mind that.
#10 what does that even mean?

Sterkenburg

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2016
Uhh... that was an ironic post, I take it? I don't believe someone could write point #5 for real, lol. I admit it made me chuckle, if that was the intent.

Back on topic, I can see how for many users it would make perfect sense to have a 15" model with less powerful/expensive hardware parts, just for the bigger screen. I'd personally be in favor of Apple releasing such a machine, but they might think it would cannibalize the sales of the more expensive units.

Reactions: Queen6 and Ploki

internetrando

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2018
Texas
It really makes no sense that you can only get the 15" in a super expensive overkill-for-most-people configuration. Should've offered a Quad/Iris Pro version, i doubt most people would opt for the hot hot hot 6-cores.
Eh...I would be willing to bet that a majority of the people who upgraded or purchased the 2018 model were hold-outs from the 2015 or earlier crowd. Anyone who upgraded from the 2016 or 2017 model did so solely for the increase in RAM and cores.

Once you make it outside of this forum, you realize that 95% of the world doesn't really care about anything other than what it can do, and how fast it can do it. Until the 2018 model came out, there was very little reason to upgrade for processing power alone - it was stagnant. If you need proof of that, go check some GeekBench scores from 2013 through 2017 - they're marginal at best. The introduction and release of hexacore processors has resulted in the largest increase in performance that we have seen in a long, long time.

THAT'S what makes people want to upgrade, whether they need it or not. I would be willing to bet that a very large portion of, if not a majority of, purchasers did so because they wanted or needed the increased power...or they're just normal folks who buy a new laptop when they need one and they care about things like screen size and portability.

For what its worth, Apple had little choice but to offer hexacore processors in their flagship laptops - that's industry standard at this point. Anything less and everyone would have been burning Apple Stores to the ground...or just doing what a lot of people have done already and purchase a Windows machine that offered the power and ports that they needed.

The 2018 refresh was much needed and, in my opinion, necessary if Apple wanted to continue to be any kind of a competitor in the market. What Apple has created is truly a marvel of engineering when you consider the power that goes into the form factor, but I do wish that they would offer a true Professional Workstation grade laptop in addition to the current "Pro" lineup. One with a fatass, huge battery, legacy ports, MagSafe, and modern internals / screen. That would probably be a huge ticket item.
[doublepost=1548173713][/doublepost]

There are Only 2 Models

Can someone call for an ambulance? I think that this user might have had a stroke.
[doublepost=1548173885][/doublepost]
Uhh... that was an ironic post, I take it? I don't believe someone could write point #5 for real, lol. I admit it made me chuckle, if that was the intent.

Back on topic, I can see how for many users it would make perfect sense to have a 15" model with less powerful/expensive hardware parts, just for the bigger screen. I'd personally be in favor of Apple releasing such a machine, but they might think it would cannibalize the sales of the more expensive units.
It would cannibalize the sales of their more expensive flagship units, and also cannibalize the sales of their 13" Air.

I would guess that a portion of the pricing scheme for the new MacBook Air is done so PREVENT it from cannibalizing the sales of their 13" Pro series. They're so close in price that you really are kind of picking solely based off of needs instead of price.

IF they made a 15" Air, I would bet that the pricing would start at around $2,500

Last edited:
Reactions: LCC0256 and Queen6

Howard2k

macrumors 68030
Mar 10, 2016

There are Only 2 Models

Great list! Makes total sense.

Salty Pirate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2005
kansas city
Eh...I would be willing to bet that a majority of the people who upgraded or purchased the 2018 model were hold-outs from the 2015 or earlier crowd. Anyone who upgraded from the 2016 or 2017 model did so solely for the increase in RAM and cores.

Once you make it outside of this forum, you realize that 95% of the world doesn't really care about anything other than what it can do, and how fast it can do it. Until the 2018 model came out, there was very little reason to upgrade for processing power alone - it was stagnant. If you need proof of that, go check some GeekBench scores from 2013 through 2017 - they're marginal at best. The introduction and release of hexacore processors has resulted in the largest increase in performance that we have seen in a long, long time.

THAT'S what makes people want to upgrade, whether they need it or not. I would be willing to bet that a very large portion of, if not a majority of, purchasers did so because they wanted or needed the increased power...or they're just normal folks who buy a new laptop when they need one and they care about things like screen size and portability.

For what its worth, Apple had little choice but to offer hexacore processors in their flagship laptops - that's industry standard at this point. Anything less and everyone would have been burning Apple Stores to the ground...or just doing what a lot of people have done already and purchase a Windows machine that offered the power and ports that they needed.

The 2018 refresh was much needed and, in my opinion, necessary if Apple wanted to continue to be any kind of a competitor in the market. What Apple has created is truly a marvel of engineering when you consider the power that goes into the form factor, but I do wish that they would offer a true Professional Workstation grade laptop in addition to the current "Pro" lineup. One with a fatass, huge battery, legacy ports, MagSafe, and modern internals / screen. That would probably be a huge ticket item.
[doublepost=1548173713][/doublepost]

Can someone call for an ambulance? I think that this user might have had a stroke.
[doublepost=1548173885][/doublepost]

It would cannibalize the sales of their more expensive flagship units, and also cannibalize the sales of their 13" Air.

I would guess that a portion of the pricing scheme for the new MacBook Air is done so PREVENT it from cannibalizing the sales of their 13" Pro series. They're so close in price that you really are kind of picking solely based off of needs instead of price.

IF they made a 15" Air, I would bet that the pricing would start at around $2,500
OK, for 2500 it would need to have 16GB/512GB SSD

Ploki

macrumors 68040
Jan 21, 2008

I was a 2012 15" holdout for the very reasons you are listing. :) Ended up with a 13" and Mini after 15" was disappointing.
I head a lot of people say they buy the 15" for the screen; i specifically recommended a few people the 13" models but they bought 15" solely for the screen.
Not everyone needs an amazing CPU in a laptop, I think for most people dual-cores cut it, if not, quads are plenty.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2015
I really agree with you, I do and that speaks volumes. Jobs wanted Mac's and Apple's products available to everyone, not a self-indulgent elitist few. If made in jest what to say, if serious a little sad to say the least...

Q-6
These MacBook Pro Elites would only be released bi-yearly and are marketed to the top 1% of Professionals. Much like Ferrari’s and other super cars or other luxury goods.
Apple has done this before with the $10,000 18k Gold Apple Watch Edition.

https://www.cultofmac.com/315099/17000-gold-apple-watch-might-be-too-cheap/

Not just amateur photographers or Youtubers who buy a MacBook Pro a Nikon DSLR and a Canon Pixma Pro-10 and fancy themselves “Professionals” when they are closer to hobbyists.

Last edited:

jlc1978

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2009

My guess it is a market segmentation issue. The 13" Air is aimed at the educational market IMHO. It's small and light enough to carry around all day and powerful enough for most uses. It also has a form factor that seems to appeal t college students.

Reactions: internetrando

Falhófnir

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2017
Realistically they could probably pivot the current Pro designs (sans failed keyboards) to be high-end consumer devices using 15/28W chips with Iris graphics - call them the MacBooks. Make the 12" and 13" Air into entry-level ultraportables with Y series chips, and create more substantial workstations (closer to the Unibody generation in design). That's still 5 different product lines, but you have a 12", two types of 13" and two types of 15" to choose from rather than a 12" three 13" machines that all overlap and a 15" that's kind of a difficult sell to anyone that doesn't make youtube videos for a living :p

Reactions: Ploki

Ploki

macrumors 68040
Jan 21, 2008
These MacBook Pro Elites would only be released bi-yearly and are marketed to the top 1% of Professionals. Much like Ferrari’s and other super cars or other luxury goods.
Apple has done this before with the $10,000 18k Gold Apple Watch Edition.

https://www.cultofmac.com/315099/17000-gold-apple-watch-might-be-too-cheap/

Not just amateur photographers or Youtubers who buy a MacBook Pro a Nikon DSLR and a Canon Pixma Pro-10 and fancy themselves “Professionals” when they are closer to hobbyists.
Except Professionals and people who buy ferraris and $10,000 gold watches are a wastly different market.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2015
Except Professionals and people who buy ferraris and $10,000 gold watches are a wastly different market.
Professionals would see it as a work expenses and a tax write off used for work. City Governments can afford it. And the super wealthy would love it because they love social filters, Aka “I have this because you can’t” and shows they have clout. Which is what society is turning into anyways a big online clout game.

I stand behind my idea of a super exclusive MacBook Pro Elite. If someone at Apple gave the Go Ahead for a $10,000 18K Gold Apple Watch which was a real from Apple product. I don’t think my MacBook Pro Elite concept is off the mark.

Oh and a great deal for those who brag about buying a new MacBook Pro every year on the forums I’ve seen them. Heck the resale value after 2 year would be pretty good. Considering it’s high end features and clout even bought used.

Did I mention it only releases Bi- yearly, so a 2020 model would not see a refresh until 2022.

JTBing

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2015

There are Only 2 Models
For half of this comment I thought you were joking but I'm afraid you're actually serious...

d0nK

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2011
UK
I don't see the point in having the Macbook Air AND the Macbook. Consolidate them and give 13" and 15" options. That would be perfect for all the people that just use it for office apps and social media (of which there are many).

The Macbook Pro can then be properly focussed on those that do video, audio, graphics, etc.

Aint rocket surgery, Apple....

Reactions: Falhófnir

tomscott1988

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2009
UK
I totally agree I really love my 12" macbook for social, browsing, media playback and editing images on the go and the 15" is twice the price and overkill unless I replaced my Mac Pro also but I dont want to hog a heavy laptop around with me.

The 12" footprint is so small and the battery life so good that there is barely any penalty to taking it with you at all.

I would love a Macbook style 15" with 2 ports, no touch bar, no touch id but face id and a 500 nit display. Light, big screen doesnt need all the power. If it benched 4500k single and between 12-15k multi with a quad low power processor it would be a pretty awesome machine.

Main disappointment about the air is the price and screen brightness, if you have come from any machine past 2015 with the brighter screens then it is noticeable.

Reactions: crawfish963