MacBook pro i5 13' won't charge..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by guntoyomouth123, Nov 24, 2012.

1. guntoyomouth123 macrumors newbie

Hi guys, im new to these forums but heard it has the best community for mac users ineed of help.

Well, I have a macbook pro 13' i5 from early 2011 with OSX 10.8.2 installed and for some reason it doesn't charge.
    I've done research and people say it could be the os ,or something about resetting the SMC, Which i already tried dozens of times.

Also tried removing the battery and all with the whole holding the power button for 5 seconds, plugin the charger and THEN put in the battery and no luck.

Now, it seems the charger is the source for my macs power, it doesn't turn on without the charger.
    The light on it is bright green,and the top of my bar shows a battery with a battery and an x in the icon stating "no batteries available ,power source adpter".

Now would call or go to a apple store, but i have no apple care or anything.. :eek:

So yeah....um if anyone can help me i'll really much appreciate it,thanks !

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

3. guntoyomouth123 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, not really. It's still plugged in.

4. guntoyomouth123 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

It may be an issue with the battery. I would run the Apple Hardware Test and see if it determines a bad battery.

6. guntoyomouth123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much for the reply. I have been running it with the cable and I always unplug it by accident since it's very light connected. Now I've accidentally unplugged it again and it has a booting problem now.

It stays in the apple logo with the rotating wheel and doesn't do anything.

7. bluespaceoddity, Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012

bluespaceoddity macrumors regular

That battery has failed. Contact Apple. Seems like things can only get worse the more you fiddle with it.

Are you sure you properly reconnected the battery after you "tried removing the battery ..."

8. guntoyomouth123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Should I buy a new battery?
    And all I did was follow apples instructions on unplugging the battery and plugging it again with the magsafe plugged in and all failed.

I'll give them a call but as I stated I have no apple care or anything.
    Thanks for the quick replies by the way.

Can't do much right now since now I mistakenly unplugged the magsafe again and it won't boot. It just stays in the apple logo with a loading bar. But once it's filled it shows and spinning wheel and it doesn't do anything. Just stays there... Any help on that? :0/

9. bluespaceoddity macrumors regular

I recommend you shut down that MBP and contact Apple to explain the situation and arrange for a replacement of the battery. On unibody MBPs like your i5 the battery is an integral part of the system. It won't run properly without one and it can't detect one in your system right now.

Hopefully your files are backed up.

Where did you find those instructions btw?

Your MBP is one of the models for which this applies:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

Note the words:
    "(if it's removable)"
    and the section near the bottom:
    "Resetting the SMC on portables with a battery you should not remove on your own"

Sorry to say you may have misunderstood the instructions.

10. guntoyomouth123 thread starter macrumors newbie

My files weren't backed up but, it doesn't really matter since I didn't have much but thank you so much for your help and advice.
    Looks like i'm going to have to buy a new battery.

And yeah those were one of the instructions i followed.

Also seen a video on youtube, and some other forums in which i came across with google.

But all didn't work, so i'll just take your advice and buy a new battery and try that out. :cool:

11. guntoyomouth123 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I got myself a battery and it seems like it didn't work either...now I'm really scared

12. guntoyomouth123 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just had it ! But it said it wasn't charging so I tried resettingthe smc again and the battery icon went back to an x again. -_-

13. porterandme macrumors newbie

Battery

I have the same issue. I have a 13" Pro. Battery showed an X on it. I just purchased a replacement battery from the apple store, they swapped the old battery for the new one. Came home plugged it in and still get an X on the battery. reset the SMC, still nothing. What a waste of $129.

I will be going back to the apple store tomorrow to say WTF!!!