Macbook Pro I5 15" 2.4Ghz Logic Board

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by XSV, Jun 29, 2011.

1. XSV macrumors newbie

Found out today my logic board is fried in my MBP. It's just over a year old and Apple isn't sounding like they wanna help me out with getting a new one after being a loyal customer for over 10 years. This is the first time I've ever had to call tech support and they can't even give me a quote over the phone as to how much a new logic board is going to cost. The nearest Apple store to me is over an hour away as well.

My question is....Can anyone give me a relatively close estimate as to how much it's going to cost to get it fixed? I'm in a bit of hurry to get this done as it was my main work computer.

Thanks in advance!

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

My guess is somewhere in the $800-$1100 range. I could be unwittingly low-balling it though.

3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

sounds about right to me.

basically you should just buy a new computer.

4. XSV thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

That's right around what I was predicting. At least I can salvage the hard drive and put it in an external closure. :(

5. lindstedt56 macrumors regular

Sell your computer as is on ebay, you will still get good money for it.

6. errorunknown macrumors member

Apple reduced the cost of the logic board. I was quoted $210 for the board and $100 for the labor. Only $310 total for the same model. They told me that the prices were reduced sometime last year around Christmas

7. XSV thread starter macrumors newbie

Went to the Apple store today to get it all checked out. Turns out their "Authorized" repair center in my town mis-diagnosed the problem. The problem ended up being the hard drive. I was still able to reclaim everything from the HD. I was 79 days out of warranty and they quoted me $193 to do the repair including labor. In the end because of the mistake the other shop made and me having to drive an hour to the nearest Apple store they've done the repair for free! Once again they've exceeded my expectations and I couldn't be happier (unless the mistakenly throw a SSD in my MBP).:p

8. XcodeCrazy macrumors newbie

XcodeCrazy

Congratulations! A lot of people end up having to buy a brand new computer! Of course, seeing as your Mac is just over a year old, they can't really turn you down. Not to mention the fact you've been a loyal customer for ten years! :D