Macbook Pro i5 Battery and Magnetic Connector

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chrissmash, May 15, 2010.

1. chrissmash macrumors regular

Hi guys,

Got the new Macbook pro a few weeks ago and having an issue or two with it. First the macbook pro charger doesn't seem to sit very well and does not always charge it if its the tiniest bit out of position.

1) Anyone else having this problem with the magnetic connector?

2) The battery life is not very good (or at least as good as I expected) Just web browsing I am getting 3 hours out of it.

I would appreciate your advice :) it is covered under Applecare too.

2. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

Ok. Would you post a screenshot of what this program (Coconut Battery) says? (Use Command+Shift+4+Space, then click the window)

That definitely doesn't sound right. My last revision 13" Macbook Pro gets regularly 4.5 hours of use with Safari and iTunes running. Also, check to make sure that your backlight isn't all the way up, Bluetooth is not on when not necessary, and open up Activity Monitor (in Utilities) and see if anything hogging processor usage. (Post a screenshot of that too please)

I can't speak for the connector as I have the original white one, not the new silver one, but my white one stays in perfectly as long as it's not being pushed upward or downward.

Here is a screenshot of my CoconutBattery reading for some reference.

Attached Files:

3. chrissmash thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your reply guys!

txhockey9404 - I have attached the 2 screenshots here, have a look. The macbook pro charger is messing around tonight even more, I think that the pins on either the battery or the charger are damaged.

Attached Files:

4. tombilske macrumors member

tombilske

call Apple customer service or take this back to Apple. There is no reason that a 6 week old mac should be at 8% battery health so there is something wrong with your battery. Hell i know people with 6 year old macs that have more than 8% health.

Apple will replace the battery or replace the computer or whatever they need to do. Just take it back :)

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That's the current battery charge. Not the most it can hold. coconutBattery looks fine to me.

6. tombilske macrumors member

tombilske

oh right good point :p

haha i didnt read it properly...yeh the battery looks fine

7. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

Based on your activity monitor, flash is running in Safari, which turns on the nvidia discrete graphics. That kills your battery life. You might want to download gfxcardstatus and watch your graphics. Stay with the integrated intel graphics, and you should see normal, 6-7 hours with light web browsing at 50% screen brightness.

8. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Just make sure that nothing is attached to the charger's or MBP connector, remember that they're magnetic. Then calibrate your battery, and if nothing of this solve the problem, return it to Apple.

9. bjorn989 macrumors member

I would second that. I must have seen about 15 people with a paperclip stuck in the magsafe port, complaining that the charger wasn't fitting properly. Your battery looks fine, except I would be kind of concerned if it had 20 cycles in 6 weeks. Do you use the battery a lot or just have the Macbook on the charger? If you just use it on a desk with the charger plugged in, that could indicate that the charger is not working properly.

Repost after doing a calibration, then you will get a more accurate reading

10. chrissmash thread starter macrumors regular

Hi there, thanks everyone for the feedback, to further since yesterday, I use the macbook pro alot on the road for business and personal use running on the battery however I am needing to charge it quite alot which is why I have so many cycles. Is a battery covered under applecare?

Also thanks for the tips on the magnetic connector but with further inspection it actually looks like the corner on the magnetic receiver has been burnt or singed in some way.

I am only running safari for mac rumours forum now on 95% battery which tells me I have 3 hours left, thats not right...

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Follow the link in the 2nd post in this thread.

12. 0eyvind macrumors member

Why is that?
    I've had my MBP for two weeks now, and it's at 15 cycles.

13. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

I'd just take it to Apple, especially if the magsafe is burning! Hopefully a new charger will solve your issues.

Definitely get gfxcardstatus and switch to the intel graphics when you're just browsing etc. Will greatly improve battery life.

14. Hadron macrumors regular

You sure? I generally use Firefox, and have never seen this, so wondered whether this was a Safari thing. But I've tried it, and even with the Safari flash player plug-in running my system sticks firmly to intel graphics (and my system is auto-switching, 'cos if I fire up X11 it switches immediately).

But absolutely agreed about installing a gpu monitor tool.