MacBook Pro i5 Hard Drive Dying after 1 week :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mooty, Apr 25, 2010.

1. mooty macrumors regular

Gotta say, right now I'm gutted.

I've spent the last 7-10 days with a glorious new MacBook Pro, everything working great, but today my hard drive has begun to get very noisy. It's an almost grinding noise (you know, like hard drives used to be).

This is my third MBP, and it's the first time I've really heard the hard drive, so I know I'm not just being anal.

Will Apple just give me a new machine, or swap out the replaceable HD?

Here's a vid of the problem if you're interested: http://www.reynoldsftw.com/2010/04/video-macbook-pro-i5-hard-drive-dying-after-1-week/

:mad::mad:

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

As you are still within the 14-day no-questions-asked return/replacement policy, just take it to the store you bought it from and show them the issue and ask for a replacement

3. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

I would imagine they would just give you a new hard drive. Why would you want a new machine?

4. mooty thread starter macrumors regular

I don't necessarily - I just wondered what they were most likely to do, seeing as the MBP doesn't have a removable bottom like it did before...

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It does have a removable bottom, it's held by some screws. Seeing that it's so new, they may just give you a new one as you are eligible for one. Replacing the HD takes some time, especially if they are busy or they don't have the HD in stock

Ask for new one, that's the easiest way

6. mooty thread starter macrumors regular

Funnily enough, I have rebooted the machine and all is fine.

If I use XCode, this is when my problems start. Can anyone else confirm odd behaviour with their Hard drive after using XCode on an i5 or i7 MacBook Pro?

7. saunterer macrumors newbie

Interesting. I experienced the same hard drive sound today. Not after using Xcode, but while surfing the web in Safari. A reboot did not resolve things, but a shutdown did. My hard drive is back to dead silent.

Weird though. I've implemented a tight backup scheme just to be on the safe side.

Oh yeah, this was on a 15" i7.