MacBook Pro i5 running at only 800mhz.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by drewwils, Jun 10, 2018.

1. drewwils, Jun 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2018

drewwils macrumors newbie

Extreme lag on a used 2011 MacBook Pro I bought for my parents. Intel Power Gadget shows CPU is running at 800mhz with no fluctuation. Zero. Booted into diagnostics and no problems were found. Can't return it.

Any ideas?

2. Schranke macrumors 6502a

Schranke

what is the temperatures when the machine is running?
    Since this is presumedly newly bought, is it a clean install?
    What is the battery status?

3. drewwils, Jun 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2018

drewwils thread starter macrumors newbie

Clean El Capitan install on a new SSD. No battery - only used as a desktop. Strange, temperature is ~64°C (149F) on Amazon Prime Video ~50% load and streaming Xfinity (Flash) using ~85% load and extreme lag.

4. iMacC2D macrumors 6502a

That's the problem. The machine throttles the CPU back significantly with no battery installed.

5. Schranke, Jun 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2018

Schranke macrumors 6502a

Schranke

Yep, the battery acts as a power reserve to provide burst energy when needed (not often) the machine will throttle to prevent draining more than can be provided by the adapter.
    I once stumbled upon a thread which talked about how to modify this feature.
    Here are a links to get you started (This is at your own risk, personally I would just get a new battery)
    https://apple.stackexchange.com/que...step-when-using-macbook-pro-without-a-battery
    Edit: a few more links
    https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1392381
    https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/306819-disable-speedstep-on-a-late-2011-mbp-with-yosemite/

6. drewwils thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I just replaced the battery and it's still at a flat 800mhz.

7. elathus macrumors newbie

Has to be an original battery I think, otherwise it will keep throttling. Lost a couple of days over this just a week ago, before figuring it out.

8. Schranke macrumors 6502a

Schranke

What do you mean by original battery?
    I changed one I my moms Mac with a replacement from ifixit, that is not an original battery, but I did not see any limitation on performance.

9. elathus macrumors newbie

I believe ifixit sells OEMs, which are basically originals, not so cheap replacements from ebay/aliexpress. But it seems like it differs from mac to mac. 2010 mbp at work works just fine without battery. Mine 2015 throttled.

10. Count Blah macrumors 68040

Count Blah

I have used "non-original" batteries, and have had it work. Check 'Power' or 'Battery' under 'About this Mac' and tell us what it says for battery health information.

11. elathus macrumors newbie

If it's not the battery, if it's not overheating, then it's probably one of the sensors on the motherboard. I got lucky the problem being just the battery.