Macbook pro i5 windows 7 options?????

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hastyle, Oct 7, 2010.

1. hastyle macrumors member

Hey guys gonna purchase a macbook pro i5, but i will also need it to do some design stuff, 3d rendering and 2d graphics, So i will need to install windows 7 on it, what are my options? i know there is bootcamp but there is also the parallel route, and a few others that are similar, I care more about performance and if bootcamp is faster then i don't have a problem restarting the computer to switch os.
    thanks.

2. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Bootcamp is the only way to go for any graphics, cad, or gaming... If you use parallels and want any performance on windows, you basically kill the performance of osx because you give everything to windows. I dont understand this though, on bootcamp with 8gb ram rates at 6.9, on parallels with only 4gb of ram it rates 7.1...

3. RRmalvado macrumors 6502

If you care about performance then Bootcamp would be your only option.

4. hastyle thread starter macrumors member

ok great, and also since im doing 3d rendering, i wil be utilizing multple cores. not sure if i should get, the i5 and i7 one is 4 core and the other is 8 ?? is that correct? i cant seem to find my answer on google.
    thanks.

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

There are a total of zero (0) Macbook Pros that utilize the quad core iX procs. Only dual core with hyperthreading for a total of four "logical" cores for both the i5 and i7. It won't be as fast as a true quad core, i.e. the 4C iMac.

As far as which one to pick, that's not a very exciting question. I mean, it is, but here all you will get is "get the i5, i7 is a waste of money" comments from those who got the i5, and the "i7 is gr8" comments from those who got the i7.

Are you:
    making money from your machine?
    a spec whore?
    feelin' lucky?

Get the i7. Otherwise, go for the i5.

6. jtus macrumors member

You can run windows 7 64bit with parallels and not have to reboot. Also maya is a 3d program and also auto cad . They both run on the mac os. I run auto cad, 3d studio both on windows xp and windows 7 in parallels 6 with no problem at all.

7. tjb1 macrumors 68000

I tried to run autocad in parallels using the bootcamp partition but it messed up the activation and I dont feel like calling autodesk again :(

8. hastyle thread starter macrumors member

Oh ok, i will look into the spec and bench marks i guess,

lol, yes this computer is for work work, no im not a spec whore, if its not worth the money then screw it, i have another pc for rendering too.

9. binaryscene macrumors newbie

I have had bad luck running AutoCAD in virtualization. I would install Windows 7 to your Boot Camp partition. If you want occasional quick access to Windows when you aren't doing anything heavy, use Parallels to access the Boot Camp partition while running OSX.

10. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Dont try to access autocad from parallels, it will screw up the license and only problem I had with autocad in parallels was the mouse...I had the mac mouse and the autocad mouse and it lagged but that seems to be fixed in Parallels 6

11. hastyle thread starter macrumors member

good to know, also, I have a I have an second monitor id like to hook up, What is with this new Mini DisplayPort and mini dvi?!? are they two different connectors?

12. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

very much so.

At this point in time, you don't need to worry about mini DVI unless you own an older model mac or a Mac Mini. You'll simply need Apple's Mini DP -> DVI adapter, or you can purchase one from monoprice.

13. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

VMWareFusion is the way to go, much better than parallels.

14. hastyle thread starter macrumors member

ok so just mini dvi, thanks.

15. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

AutoCAD is going to release a version for Mac... and there are some place you can get a beta trial version if you wanted to~

http://www.autodesk.com/AutoCADforMac

Hope it helps~ Cheers

16. DJ-R macrumors regular

HUH?

Okay I was a Windows user for many years until this year I finally got my first Mac computer + I've been working with Mac at job for 3+ years.

I can tell you don't need Windows to do 2D and 3D.

There are:

Adobe (Windows / OSX)
    Maya (Windows / OSX)
    And other etc etc.

These major softwares company will support Windows and OSX

Unless you are running some... other 3D program which I haven't use it for a long time. Swift 3D?

17. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Yeah and Solidworks...AutoCAD...Mastercam arent big? Yes AutoCAD is making a mac version but thats not here yet and Mastercam and Solidworks are pretty big.

18. hastyle thread starter macrumors member

Yes use autocad, little bit of solidworks, but majority of my work is done in 3d studio max.