MacBook Pro i7 17" idle temps

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MikeinJapan, May 29, 2010.

1. MikeinJapan macrumors regular

Hey guys

I am not new to mac or Apple. I have had 3 MacBook Pros and a couple of minis. I currently have a MBP (15") Late 2008 and it is great but it runs a little hot. I have to put ice under it to play games in summer as it is too hot here. My old MacBook was a 17" and ran much cooler and quieter. I don't really need the extra power but I am thinking about a 17" i7.

It seems like a waste getting rid of my current macbook pro as it is a great machine and not even 2 years old but just the heat and smaller screen is driving me a little around the bend. Sorry I am rambling!

If anyone wouldn't mind telling me the idle and/or net browsing temp of the i7 17" MBP? (the 15" MBP i7 would be good to know too).

2. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

i have a 15" i5 and it gets pretty hot when gaming, but from what i have read thats normal

3. banalelectric macrumors member

My (amazing) 2-day-old 17" i7 averages about 40˚C at idle when plugged in (with graphics switching on), and has been running at a cool 30-32˚C this morning for the past hour on battery. I haven't played a game on it yet--and your mileage may vary, of course--but so far I'd have to say I'm a believer in the "bigger chassis = cooler internals".