Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Killery96

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
Hi people on MR,

I'm going to by a Macbook Pro (2011) 15" with the i7 2720, and I'm looking for an 8gb memory upgrade option.

I would like it to be reliable, as in, people have done it before, (good warranty too?), and confirmed to work with the Macbook Pro Sandy Bridge.

It should be at 1333 or 1600 mhz, I don't want a clock speed downgrade.

I'm looking for 8gbs

The memory should be below $150.

Can this be accomplished?

Thankyou!!!

JronMasteR

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2011
Switzerland
I have the Kingston Hyper X 1600MHz. They work perfectly in my MBP and they run at 1600MHz. (KHX1600C9S3P1K2/8G)
I think they are around a hundred bucks.

2hvy4grvty

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
Don't get the 1600. Stick to 1333 and spend the extra $50 on booze. Really.

In the past month, RAM prices have been dropping like crazy. There was a promotion on Newegg quite literally every other day, dropping $3-4 each time. The 8gb (2x4gb modules) can be had for ~$45.

Difference between 1600 vs 1333 is quite literally 0. There are some VERY unique scenarios (e.g. if you play games on the HD 3000 instead of your 6750m for some reason), you might see a very minute improvement, but otherwise the difference is 0.

Killery96

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
Don't get the 1600. Stick to 1333 and spend the extra $50 on booze. Really.

In the past month, RAM prices have been dropping like crazy. There was a promotion on Newegg quite literally every other day, dropping $3-4 each time. The 8gb (2x4gb modules) can be had for ~$45.

Difference between 1600 vs 1333 is quite literally 0. There are some VERY unique scenarios (e.g. if you play games on the HD 3000 instead of your 6750m for some reason), you might see a very minute improvement, but otherwise the difference is 0.

I'd like to get Kingdton HyperX ram. It looks good and is at a price that's in the limit but not suspiciously low, implying poor quality. I'm wondering if RAM that's clocked at 1600mhz has a higher possibility of failing in the computer, however, because I can't find a Kingston DDR3 1333mhz 8gb set at newegg for laptops...

Anyone got links?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104257 - I was thinking about these sticks. Good? thoughts?

THANKS

kanit

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2011
Caltech
I'd like to get Kingdton HyperX ram. It looks good and is at a price that's in the limit but not suspiciously low, implying poor quality. I'm wondering if RAM that's clocked at 1600mhz has a higher possibility of failing in the computer, however, because I can't find a Kingston DDR3 1333mhz 8gb set at newegg for laptops...

Anyone got links?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104257 - I was thinking about these sticks. Good? thoughts?

THANKS

Dont bother, 110$ for 8gb of ram too much, the other 50$ rams may actually be of better quality. Price and quality do not go hand in hand. The Hyper X is expensive because of 1600mhz not better quality. 1600mhz in an MBP is useless.

2hvy4grvty

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011

Anyone got links?

THANKS

You're paying a premium for speed, speed that you won't even notice. There's a reason you didn't go for the 2.3 2820QM right? Minimal gain, maximum price.

Same idea here, except it's no gain, higher price. You get "cool looking" heat spreaders, which you won't see once you put the back cover on. It's a mental victory at best, you're not that naive, are you?

Do you have an SSD? The money saved could go there.

Killery96

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
You're paying a premium for speed, speed that you won't even notice. There's a reason you didn't go for the 2.3 2820QM right? Minimal gain, maximum price.

Same idea here, except it's no gain, higher price. You get "cool looking" heat spreaders, which you won't see once you put the back cover on. It's a mental victory at best, you're not that naive, are you?

Do you have an SSD? The money saved could go there.

It's true I most definitely won't notice 1600 vs 1333. (BTW, mbp can use 1600mhz), however I can't find a 1333 8gb set by Kingston for laptops... ...anyone got a link for me?

Killery96

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
Alrighty, I found this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139482

It seems deceptively cheap, however. I've noticed about the computer world is that specs and numbers are less reliable than price, because Apple computers with the same specs as PC computers offer better performance and better life... I'm not looking to save every penny, I DO have 150 bucks to spend on a RAM module, actually I have 180! I'd rather it be cheaper than 180 so that I'm doing myself a favor, however I really don't want a $50.00 piece of crap RAM stick that'll fail.

I guess what I'm asking is: is the difference from 54 to 110 dollars really only the 1333 to 1600 mhz boost?

kanit

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2011
Caltech
Alrighty, I found this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139482

It seems deceptively cheap, however. I've noticed about the computer world is that specs and numbers are less reliable than price, because Apple computers with the same specs as PC computers offer better performance and better life... I'm not looking to save every penny, I DO have 150 bucks to spend on a RAM module, actually I have 180! I'd rather it be cheaper than 180 so that I'm doing myself a favor, however I really don't want a $50.00 piece of crap RAM stick that'll fail.

I guess what I'm asking is: is the difference from 54 to 110 dollars really only the 1333 to 1600 mhz boost?

It is not deceptively cheap, all 8gb Ram modules cost around that mark, Corsair, G Skill , Crucial all cost 50-60$. The HyperX is not worth it at all, n as far as i know there is absolutely no difference at all

JronMasteR

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2011
Switzerland
It is not deceptively cheap, all 8gb Ram modules cost around that mark, Corsair, G Skill , Crucial all cost 50-60$. The HyperX is not worth it at all, n as far as i know there is absolutely no difference at all

Yep, the speed difference is minimal. You can see a little difference at benchmarks, but you would never feel that.
I bought the hyperX, because at the time I bought them, they were just about 10% more expensive than the 1333MHz.

kanit

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2011
Caltech
I bought the hyperX, because at the time I bought them, they were just about 10% more expensive than the 1333MHz.

Yup ram prices seem to have come down quite a bit in the past few months, i remember in March 2x4gb 133mhz modules cost around 80$. I think 1600mhz modules were actually cheaper then at 98$.

Killery96

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
Last question in this thread (thanks for all the input guys)

- Is there a brand you would consider superior in quality? I know Crucial and Kingston are the biggies but still, you guys got preferences between them? Experiences? good or bad?

lindstedt56

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2011
They both are good. Get the cheaper 1.

Dont spend the extra on mac certified ram. Waste of money.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003

- Is there a brand you would consider superior in quality? I know Crucial and Kingston are the biggies but still, you guys got preferences between them? Experiences? good or bad?

It's all pretty much the same--they come from the same factories. So you're basically buying quality control and customer service.

I have Crucial, but I defy anyone to tell the difference from it to G.Skill or OWC (rather overpriced IMO) or Samsung, etc.

kanit

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2011
Caltech
Well i am planning on getting the Corsair ram for my MBP too based on my desktop experience with them. i exclusively use Corsair for all the gaming desktops I built as theirs is some of the best quality stuff, better than Kingston and Crucial.
Get the Corsair, should be great.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007

Neither. Get G.Skill. Avoid Mushkin at all costs.
I've been using G.Skill kit for years. Only had 1 bad stick out of about 24 or so.

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
if you aren't afraid of price; OWC is always apple compliant/approved to specifications and carry a lifetime warranty I believe. :rolleyes:

lindstedt56

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2011
if you aren't afraid of price; OWC is always apple compliant/approved to specifications and carry a lifetime warranty I believe. :rolleyes:

The whole "mac approved" thing is a scam. Just a way to ask a high premium over ram that has specifications that are 100% the same. People use non certified kits all the time and they work fine. Dont spend double from OWC, if you have to buy the "mac approved" ram from newegg for a better deal.

Any of the 40-50$ kits of 8gb ddr3 will work in your mbp just fine and there is nothing wrong with them. All the kits have good warrantees and your best bet is to buy the cheapest kit you can find on newegg.

Killery96

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
thanks a lot everyone for your valuable input and controversial posts... ...o.0

I've decided to go with a 1333mhz Kingston DDR3 8gb module, with lifetime warranty. It's gotten 26 five star reviews and over half of those users applied the RAM to a mac computer. Cheers lads.

lindstedt56

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2011
thanks a lot everyone for your valuable input and controversial posts... ...o.0

I've decided to go with a 1333mhz Kingston DDR3 8gb module, with lifetime warranty. It's gotten 26 five star reviews and over half of those users applied the RAM to a mac computer. Cheers lads.

Good choice!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.