MacBook Pro i7 2.6 15 2018 slight noise in top left corner

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Billy Shears, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Billy Shears macrumors member

So, I just received my new MacBook Pro 2018 i7 2.6 560x 32GB. Since there has been a lot of talk about coil whine in the new MacBooks, I, out of curiosity, put my ear directly where most people said that noise comes from, and indeed, I hear something like fans blowing. I should note that it's very quiet and it can't be heard unless you press your ears directly there. So I'm just wondering if it's normal noise. Could some 2018 owners confirm this? Sorry if I'm asking dumb questions. Thanks

2. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

3. Billy Shears thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I'm 90% certain it's a fan. Mac fan control shows fans running at about 2000 RPM. The thing that worries me is that some people are saying that their MacBooks are DEAD SILENT. Could it be that they're just not listening carefully enough? I mean, I can hear it only when I press my head against the left side of the laptop, so I think my OCD might be a problem haha. :D
    But, I just want someone to confirm to me that they too hear some kind of fan noise at upper left of the laptop

4. ra123 macrumors newbie

Billy it is the fan that you hear. Coil whine is very distinct. I suggest you do some youtube searches to check what a coil whine sounds like. An the Macbook pro is not dead silent.

5. jerryk macrumors 601

If you normally use your computer with your head in this position, then it is an issue for you and you should get a fanless system. Otherwise, if you cannot hear it when typing and doing normal work, forget it.