Macbook pro i7, 2nd HDD caddy arrived, need advice on how to install OSes

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nimski62, Jul 21, 2011.

1. nimski62 macrumors regular

So I have a 128gb OCZ vertex 2, and my original 500gb hard drive. I am completely lost on what I should do, I want OSX Lion and Win 7 dual boot, but I'm not sure how to set it up..

Should I do a clean install of OSX and win 7 dual boot on the vertex, and somehow get my storage files to save on the 500gb hard drive?

Also should i keep the vertex in the original HDD spot or put it in the cd drive spot?

Please give me your suggestions.. thank you

2. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

First you'll have to decide how you want it set up. Obviously you'll want OSX and Mac programs on the SSD, but do you want Windows on there too? You'll want at least 30GB (probably double that) for Windows so it depends on your available space and how often you'll use it.

What I did was install OSX, programs, and Windows on the SSD (40GB partition for Windows, 80GB for OSX). Then, on the HDD I put my OSX Home folder (i.e. all my personal data) and have an NFTS partition of 50GB to install Windows programs too. It seemed like the best of both worlds, since booting Windows from the HDD was painfully slow after getting used to OSX on an SSD.

Anyway, figure out how to configure the following and report back:
    -OSX & Mac programs
    -Mac personal data ("home folder")
    -Windows OS install
    -Windows programs/data