Macbook Pro i7 for video editing/compositing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by A l e x, Nov 13, 2011.

1. A l e x macrumors newbie

Hello folks!

I'm looking to buy a Mac for my video editing needs (Final Cut Pro, Premiere Pro, After Effects).

I am looking at both the iMac and the Macbook Pro, the former being my preferred choice but the latter being the most practical choice as being able to take my work with me would be pretty convenient.

Does the i7 Macbook Pro work well with 1080p Canon 5D footage? By that I mean, is it powerful enough (with 8 gigs of ram) to handle that? It's the camera I'll shoot most of my stuff with, so that's why I'm asking.

I realize I should probably ask this in a Canon forum, but hey, maybe some of you guys have some experience in cutting dSLR footage on your Mac laptops.

2. duffer6 macrumors 6502

The 17" i7 late 2011 MPB should be your rig of choice. It can handle your needs as outlined below plus if you have to take it in the field you can with the utmost ease. the 2.4 stock i7 is very fast. Go to geekbench website and see how the numbers stack up. The late 2011 is as faster if not faster then some of the newly released iMac. The slightly improved 6770 AMD graphics card is a added bonus but will merely give you a few more fps over the former 6750 card. A nice to have but not a huge deal. I would keep an eye out for the Apple Black Friday sale and see if you can get the MBP for a slight discount.

Enjoy.

3. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I use Canon 60D 1080 30p footage exclusively on my 2011 i5 13" MBP. I use After Effects, final cut and Photoshop (frame by frame) and they all handle it fine. The real determinant is the amount of heavy layering/effects you employ, but I just wanted to share my experience to make it clear that your camera footage will work fine. Just be sure to transcode to a format intended for editing like ProRes.

4. A l e x thread starter macrumors newbie

5. rainking macrumors regular

I edit HD video files from my Nikon D7000 using my early 2011 17 MBP without any issues.