macbook pro i7 - i5 overheating?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AdamRock, Aug 30, 2010.

1. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

so ive been hearing around the tubes that the macbook pro i7 and i5 have been over heating...

has the issue been fixed? if not does it overheat less on thev i5 then the i7? or are they about the same?

im thinking of getting a mbp 15" i7 as an alt comp to accompany me when i cant use my quad core pc. so ill mainly use the laptop on my lap and such and i dont want it over heating while on me.

2. eric.c macrumors newbie

sorry I don't have an answer to your question, but I have a related question of my own if anyone knows the answers relating to the heat problems... how hot is too hot? I had my 15" i7 MBP hit 208° yesterday :S im wondering if thats bad for the computer long-term

3. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

i have my macbook up to 192 f and it only has one fan, what did you have running, if you have imovie and a bunch of larger programs running then you are fine, if you are simply surfing the web then yes you are over heating, and how long was it that hot for?

i have not heard of any over heating issues, from what i have gathered over several posts and forums, the macbook pros run very warm when they are working hard but do not run as hot as competing brands, speed = heat, but not so much heat that you would ever have an issue.

4. AdamRock thread starter macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

so if i put it on my lap and run some apps (mostly safari, itunes, imovie, not that the same time though) i wont catch on fire or melt?

5. moel macrumors 6502

Pretty sure that unless you do all that completely naked and lightly drape your willy over the esc + f1 keys, you will sustain no significant damage.

6. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

haha maybe if you ran final cut pro, imovie, itunes, iphoto, idvd, mail, safari with several windows, while watching a movie and pressed it against your bare but cheek it would probably be pretty warm, as far as melting? no, burning things? no =D its still a laptop it runs pretty warm but not enough no damage anything, the macbook pros also have 2 fans built in to help cool that beast down =D

7. AdamRock thread starter macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

lol thanks guy, im gonna go purchase my mbp 15" i5 tomorrow (i decided i didn't need all the power of the i7 so im going for i5)