MacBook Pro i7 mid 2010 textured aluminium lid

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by msf84, Nov 13, 2010.

1. msf84 macrumors newbie

Dear forum,

i have a question: Has anyone else noticed that the new mid 2010 macbook pros (i7) seem to have a rougher more textured aluminum lid than the older ones or any other macbook (pros)?

Background info: I first thought this was just me being too fussy about minor details. I compared my brand new mbp with an older one from 2009 and definitely felt the difference between the aluminum of the lid. I went to several stores and they were surprised themselves about the textured aluminum lid. They first told me this was some kind of production fault and I should swap the macbook pro. Well, the next day after cloning my drive and bringing the macbook in for a swap they told me that they looked at other macbooks and they figured this texture thing seemed to be standard. To be honest - I didn't believe them because they couldn't show it to me hands on - so I went to another store where I found mid 2010 macbooks with a more smooth aluminum lid than the one I have.

Well all in all I am quite confused. I googled the hell out of this topic and only found one post confirming my issue - here

I don't know if Apple has some kind of release doc for each charge of macbooks they produce, or maybe some tolerance level for the fabrication of the aluminum.

Can anyone confirm this or proof me wrong?

Any hints or info is appreciated!

Thanks
    -msf84

2. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I remember seeing a post about the same thing on these forums when the new models were released, so it's not just you. I put an InvisibleShield on my late '08 and mid '10 machines right after getting them so I'm unable to comment from my own experience.

3. msf84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

thanks for your reply. I now managed to get the whole display exchanged. The aluminum seems rougher than older models. Mine still felt cheap and uncomfortable to touch. I contacted Apple and they kindly told me I should just exchange it. Now everything's fine.

Thanks for your feedback.
    -msf84

4. kidcarbon macrumors newbie

OK. I'm not going nuts!! I just got a new 2011 MacBook Pro and noticed that the exterior finish of the lid is significantly different than older macbooks (and my ipad as well). It's a rougher texture and has a 'metal flake' look to it. It doesn't even match the rest of the body. I hate it!! It's good to see that at least someone else agrees with me. I've googled this and have spoken to several people at apple and i've been unable to determine if this is a design change or just production variability (or even a defect). what's going on here? i don't live near an apple store and must mail-order. i returned the first one and i'm hesitant to order another. all info is appreciated. thanks...

5. macagain macrumors regular

just got a 2011 15. it's sitting right next to my late 08 15, and i can't see any diff.

6. Neil1138 macrumors regular

I can confirm this as well on my 2011 15" mbp. I have the HR AG screen, maybe that's to blame? The lid definitely feels different, rougher than the rest of the body. It doesn't look any different so it doesn't really bother me.

7. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

REALLY?

In all seriousness--what difference does it make?

8. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni