Macbook PRO i7, pretty tough huh?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by extrickster, Oct 28, 2010.

1. extrickster macrumors newbie

Hello Macforum,

This is my first post with my new Macbook PRO I just recently received, the reason I am posting this is because the new Macbook PROs are pretty tough I believe. Every since I got my Macbook I tried my hardest to keep it nice but last night about made me cry :( when I sat my Macbook PRO on the edge of my bed then my girlfriend 'who is isn't light' came down and sat right on it... After I saw it under her I went and grabbed it, turn it on, and surprisingly everything still works and operates properly.

If that was my old computer it would've shattered and died!

2. dtblaze macrumors regular

Yeah, that's why they are made out of aluminum and not plastic. Good quality = expensive price

3. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

Lets just take a second to appreciate :D

4. extrickster thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't ever see nothing wrong with the screen, webcam, or microphone from what I can tell. I thought last night my new Macbook PRO was done for because my girlfriend is about 200 lbs and my tiny 15' inch Macbook is like 10 pounds maybe... if that much.

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

5.6 pounds ;)

6. style macrumors member

style

There are laptops that can withstand 100kg of weight (220lbs), such as these:
    http://panasonic.jp/pc/products/f9l/tough.html

+then it was on a bed and not on the floor, which acted as a small cushion

Apple have never told us how strong is the unibody enclosure, but from your test it seems to be comparable to the one of the most rugged computers. :D

7. MacVibe macrumors regular

I was hoping to read about a happy ending to your story, but all you've said is that your computer still works. ;)

8. extrickster thread starter macrumors newbie

@macvibe - I placed the Macbook PRO on the bed wrapped in a soft t-shirt (so it won't get dirty or scratch) then I went to take a talk to someone last night, my girlfriend goes right into the room, and sat right down on top of it... When I come in about three to four minutes later I looked for it and boom! it was under her... I was very sad indeed, I was thinking everything was going to be broke or messed up on it, and then it comes on... nothing wrong at all thank god. My girlfriend felt horrible and she said she was wondering why the bed was hard. Of coarse I debugged everything to make sure nothing was broke on it and happily it all works.

@style - Yeah it definitely is a strong but I almost died thinking it probably broke while she was sitting on it. :( I wonder why Apple has never told anybody about how durable the unibody enclosed Macbook is?

@Reebzor - I wasn't meaning that in a bad way, I just stating it in a way on how tough the Macbook PRO must be.

I know one thing though... it sure does get dirty fast and it scratches way to easily.

9. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

OP I just wanted to thank you for not making this an "omg apple computers are so expensive why can't you sit on them?" thread.

Glad it worked out for you.

ps: are any girls really light? Certainly legal ones aren't particularly light.

10. Smultie macrumors newbie

Not in the US and A no ;)

11. extrickster thread starter macrumors newbie

Massive Edit: @eddyisgreat I am really sorry about that, I read your post wrong (in an offensive manner) but let me go ahead and say this topic has a purpose, I created this thread to see if anyone else has had this happen to them or something as dramatic as this was and see if they had any problems out of their Macbook so I can go ahead and sent it to Applecare if there is perhaps something wrong and maybe get it fixed.

12. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Wow I'm amazed that the screen didn't break :eek: Was it upside down or the right way up?

About the worst thats happened to my MBP is my cat sitting on it lol :eek:

Anyway, congradz on your MBP surviving :D

13. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

OP, I wasn't being sarcastic. I was glad you didn't blame Apple for the accident which is something that I often see on these boards. No hate at all.

14. extrickster thread starter macrumors newbie

@eddyisgreat oops :p I fixed my earlier post after I re-read yours, I am very sorry about that, I did not mean to go off on you, and I hope your not upset at me for it; I come on these boards to make friends, not enemies. I am just so used to forums that have a bunch of trolls, and flamers roaming around in them trying to start things with others.

Anybody had anything like this ever happen to them? You guys got any problems out of your Macbook or anything? I read a post on this forum board the other day (probably an older post) where somebody hit it with a volleyball.

Yeah I am very surprised the screen didn't crack. It was setting in the right way up on the bed under a soft t-shirt.

15. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

How is it getting scratched? And dirty?

And congrats on the no damage after that happened! Aluminum is a soft metal.

16. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Be careful. Even though they're fairly strong, they don't handle sudden impact very well. If you drop a Macbook Pro the case will deform, sometimes in a way that makes it unusable.

Don't let this incident make you extremely bold and start treading your laptop like a Toughbook.

Toughbooks are awesome and nearly indestructible, but they're fugly for a reason; it's hard to make something that looks really good AND is that tough. Apple has struck a pretty good compromise with the MBP.

17. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Oh, as a fellow man who is familiar with this sort of situation, I should warn you that if your girlfriend were to read this forum, your future may get quite dangerous. ;)

(I like big girls too, but never tell a big girl that she's big. They don't like to hear it, even if you like it!)

18. Qwaf macrumors member

They are quite tough. Mine has had a can of coke over the screen (Glass sealed to the edges saved that) and has been dropped into a wall from height, while on and the only thing that came out of that was a dent in the wall around half an inch thick.

Not a scratch on the laptop. Good stuff.