Macbook Pro i7 screen suddenly goes black

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by philosopherdog, Jan 5, 2011.

1. philosopherdog macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

Just working on the machine and the screen suddenly goes black. I can see the mouse pointer in white. I put the lid down and put it to sleep. On recovery it seems ok. I'm a bit concerned. Besides pram and the usual stuff should I take this baby in to a genius to get them to look at it. I'm worried there might be something wrong with the logic board or gpu.

2. somology macrumors newbie

I had the same thing happen. Take it in for sure.

My 17" i7 2.66 machine got swapped on the spot since I did it within the 14 day period. Others who posted elsewhere in these forums at least got a free repair.

Good luck!

3. philosopherdog thread starter macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

4. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

I had the same problem tonight. But I have had this comp for at least 7 months now any advice?

5. Gherkin macrumors 6502

This just suddenly started happening to my 2010 15.4" MBP core i7.

Happened once about a month ago and shrugged it off.

Happened last week when Comcast was setting up cable and I got worried.

Happened TWICE just today.

I just bought a iMac and need to sell the MBP. I don't know what to do. Is this most likely a logic board issue? The screen goes off, but you can still hear that the computer is on.

6. Gherkin macrumors 6502

you know... I just realized my MBP has had this freezing issues probably 95% since I upgraded to Lion. I think it may have happened once before in the whole year I owned the computer.

Since Lion, it's frozen up at least 8 times. You guys think they will fix my MBP for free? It's only been out of warranty for 2 months (bought in June 2010).

7. Inside_line macrumors regular

philosopher - Do you have a 2010 or 2011 machine? Also do you have SL or Lion?

Somology & IDANNY - SL or Lion?

8. Gherkin macrumors 6502

I took my 2010 MBP to the Apple Store yesterday and the guy at the Genius Bar instantly knew my issue. He's seen it before and basically recommended holding off upgrading Lion on a 2010 MBP until 10.7.1 or 10.7.2 comes out.

I reverted back to SL and I have zero issues now.

9. Inside_line macrumors regular

Seriously.... they control the hardware + software, yet this is what they put out? What a huge rush they must be in to get stuff out the door. I'm not "upgrading" to Lion in the foreseeable future due to headaches like this.