Macbook Pro i7 SUPER SLOW!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ijsportsman, Aug 30, 2010.

1. ijsportsman macrumors newbie

My Macbook has around 50gb used on the Hard Drive, but it is running super slow, espcially on safari and ichat, simple applications. Could this be spyware, malware, or a small virus? If more info is needed just ask, I'd really like to get it running up to speed again.

2. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

try www.speedtest.net

sounds to me more like an internet or router issue and not a computer issue, if iphoto or itunes was running absurdly slow then it may be computer related

3. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

...or you're experiencing the freeze issue, screwed up permissions, your drive is failing, your internet sucks etc

4. electricmagic macrumors newbie

do you use any torrent client? torrents automatically "seed" when they finish downloading, and seeding makes your internet go slower. because to me, it sounds like an internet connection issue, rather than the hardware. It will take a lot to make an i7 slow down, unless you never actually "Quit" any of your applications, and have a lot of applications going at the same time, which could potentially slow down the system, but even still I'm talking about applications that are taxing on the system, like Adobe Suite or games.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

it wont be any malicious software of any sorts. it does sound as though it is your internet connection speed.

try with some non-internet software (its hard to find them these days :rolleyes:) and see what happens.

6. electricmagic macrumors newbie

Yes, mac viruses are extremely rare. And the software you listed is software that uses an internet connection, so that is why we think it is your connection; until we know more it seems that this is the issue.

7. unixperience macrumors regular

I don't know if this is an issue for you, but I use CCC to clone my harddrive (I moved from 250GB 5400rpm to a 500GB 7200rpm) and for some reason the cloned drive was really slow. Luckily I didn't have many files on my comp, so I reinstalled SL on the 500GB and it suddenly worked ridiculously fast *shrugs* I can't really explain it

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i didnt list any software?

9. unixperience macrumors regular

I believe the software part was aimed at the OP

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

oooohhhhh. totally missed that, thankyou