Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maplestar

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Just wondering what other people think. I like the new Bezel, and this idea is completely random (possibly stupid), but I was pondering what if Apple had made a whole screen notebook? The whole front screen is glass from corner to corner, which made me think that it was a screen from corner to corner, like this (see attachments)

Just wondering if this is better or worse than the newest macbook?

Btw, I know I photoshop horribly, I rounded off the edges rapidly so it obviously is ugly around there and the Apple is cut in half, but you get my point.

Is making the entire front of the screen THE SCREEN good or bad? (of course there would have to be somewhat of a silverish edge around the sides, and isight camera will have to be implemented somehow, maybe in the LCD screen like one of Apple's patents?)

Attachments

• Quick Mockup.png
    Quick Mockup.png
    478.3 KB · Views: 126

strikeinsilence

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2006
Worse, you need some sort of bezel to frame the display and separate it from the outside world. Could be really distracting without a bezel cause you'd constantly be looking past the edge of the display, if that makes sense.

maplestar

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Worse, you need some sort of bezel to frame the display and separate it from the outside world. Could be really distracting without a bezel cause you'd constantly be looking past the edge of the display, if that makes sense.

I'd guess so. But in reality, if what you're saying is that when you look to a corner, you're looking "past the computer" in your peripheral vision (moreso than with a bezel) I'd probably say that, in reality, your peripheral vision always sees the "outside world" no matter where in the screen you look at.

durant0s

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2008
San Francisco, CA

Yes, there needs to be a space between what is immediately behind the computer and what is on the screen. That is why I think Apple went with a black one this time, because it creates the effect you are talking about, while minimizing the distraction by making it blend in.

strikeinsilence

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2006
I'd guess so. But in reality, if what you're saying is that when you look to a corner, you're looking "past the computer" in your peripheral vision (moreso than with a bezel) I'd probably say that, in reality, your peripheral vision always sees the "outside world" no matter where in the screen you look at.

I know that we see around the display with our peripheral, but if there was no bezel to stop your eye at the edge of the screen then our eyes would constantly be gazing off its edges, not with our peripheral. It's not like it's a conscious thing, it would just happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.