Macbook Pro idea

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nick9191, May 13, 2008.

1. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Okay so the macbook pro has bad wifi reception because of the aluminium casing. They can't give it a plastic casing because that would piss off many people. Whats the one area on the machine that is plastic?

Thats right the  logo. We put the antennas in the logo. Sounds crazy doesn't it.

2. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

Or in that rubber bit under the screen on the hinge?

3. Kaupa macrumors regular

Hhuum?
    I cant complain. I have better signal with the MBP than with my USB WLAn Stick (Linksys) with adjustable antenna...

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

I actually have better reception that most of my PC friends that all have plastic casings.

If I remember correctly, the antenna is in that rubber bit in the hinge of the screen.

5. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

I can't remember where I read it, but I remember reading something where they said, Apple moved the wireless antenna to the hinge, from the lid, in order to improve reception. If memory serves me right, the PowerBook G4 didn't have a rubber bit on the hinge like current MacBook Pros do. Naturally, I assume this should be the antenna's new home?

6. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun

On PowerBooks, it was on the right side of the screen and there was a little plastic piece covering the area.

7. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

It was that little thing?

8. Shabbis macrumors regular

My new Penryn 2.5 MBP actually gets better reception than my old PB 12" so I can't complain.

9. f1vespeed macrumors newbie

My penryn 15" gets the same wifi reception as a Thinkpad T61P I owned for a few weeks.

The thinkpad was plastic bodied and even had such a ginormously powerful super-antenna that the screen had to be offset in its frame to accommodate it.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah and it would also look funny.

It's a composite magnesium and steel alloy!

---

I believe the antenna is in the hinge.

11. f1vespeed macrumors newbie

Nope, a lot of thinkpads used to be magnesium and steel, but the T61 now is definitely a plastic body around the metal frame.

12. enkidu macrumors newbie

Compared to my 12" PB (1GHz) my 15" MBP gets much better reception. Doesn't seem like it would need much of a boost (although I guess every bit helps).

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I see they got cheap, their screen bezel looks like crap. Man I'm glad I got a MBP to now!