Macbook Pro idling really hot after Leopard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NewSc2, Mar 18, 2008.

1. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

I installed Leopard a couple weeks ago, and since then I've noticed even when my computer's just idling, the temperatures hit 80C easily. Right now all I'm running is Safari 3.1 and my CPU temp is 80C (176F). Is this normal and is there anything I can do about it?

My MBP wasn't running that hot in Tiger, iirc. I remember it hitting 80 sometimes on full load, but it'd usually idle around 40-50C.

Running a Core2Duo 2.16ghz.

2. NewSc2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Just to update, I left my laptop alone, came back an hour later and it was still burning hot. I looked up Activity Monitor because iStat was showing my CPU going full even though nothing was open. Turns out Finder was running 170+% of my CPU. I quit that and temps have gone down. I've noticed my fans running at full speed several times before... I'm not too sure why Finder was doing that, but I will investigate further.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

yeh processes may use more CPU load than they should and become unresponsive in Leopard than in Tiger as its not as mature.

Leopard will become more stable as more major updates appear.

just use Activity Monitor to check out your CPU load if your Mac gets too hot and then fans start to rev even though you have no apps open.

4. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

Try repairing permissions. If it finds problems and isnt able to fix them, boot up with the install CD and use the Disk utility from there.

I assume you've checked that both your fans are working properly?

5. NewSc2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, I'll keep Activity Monitor on my Dock. Right now my CPU's idling around 60C (140ish F), which is a bit more than I'd like it to but I suppose there's nothing much I can do. I only wish I remember what my temps were like when my MBP was new, a little more than a year ago.

6. NewSc2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Both fans are fine, repairing disk permissions as we speak.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

If you're idling around 6-7% CPU usage then that's rather hot.

Seriously, what is repairing disk permissions going to do to fix this? Am I not holding the right séance trying to conjure fixes from package receipts?

8. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

bad permissions tend to lead to quirky problems. had squished text in safari on my brand new macbook pro. Repaired permissions and what did you know? fixed.

No harm in trying. I was referring to the Finder taking 170%. As far as software is concerned, there's not much you can do unless its a 3rd party program thats causing the issue.

9. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

What does that mean? Doesn't finder need to stay running all the time?:confused:

10. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

It can be closed and restarted if it's been doing the same thing the OP is reporting. Force Quit gives you the option.