MacBook Pro + iMac + Linksys modem = disaster!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by VenusInFurs, Jul 7, 2008.

1. VenusInFurs macrumors newbie

Alright, I bought a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router several months ago so that I could have wireless internet on my MacBook Pro. The salesperson assured me that the router would work on Mac computers. However, I brought it home & the installation cd does not work on my iMac. No problem. I set it up on my iMac without the cd & it's working perfectly fine on the iMac. My notebook, however, can see the airport & it's green on the Network Diagnostics, but it will not connect & the PPPoE says that it is Idle. I have searched all over the internet but cannot figure out how to connect my MacBook Pro to the wireless. Please help!

Also, because I couldn't set up the Linksys modem through the cd, it's an open connection. If anyone could tell me how to set up a security password, that would be fantastic.

2. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

You can log into Linksys routers via a browser. I believe the default IP for those is 192.168.1.1. Go to that address and put in the username and password (Those should be in the documentation that came with the router) and you can do all the setup.

3. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

Go to 192.168.1.1 using your iMac (in Safari or the web browser of your choice). I believe the default password is admin (leave username blank). Go to wireless and check if it's enabled. There are also options to set up WEP/WPA/WPA2 encryption. Also, change your router's SSID to something other than the default so your MBP doesn't get confused between other networks with the same SSID.

4. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

I have the MBP and iMac and very same router and did not have to change anything or congifure anything for them all to work.

Sometimes it's best to start over at the beginning. Reset the Linksys and start fresh with no custom settings. Then as things work begin walking thru security settings and passwords.

5. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

Also, try checking your MBP's Airport TCP/IP settings (it's under advanced). If Configure IPv4 doesn't work with Using DHCP, try setting it manually.

6. 173080 macrumors 6502

PPPoE? You shouldn't be using PPPoE at all from the computers. The router does all the authentication.

7. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

:(
    Dude, you really have no idea of what you need for a wireless connection, not to mention of how to setup a wireless router on your home, you're getting angry with the guy that sold you the router for NO reason, the one at fault here is you (no offense, but really, you are)

I would highly suggest you to get someone more versed on technology to your home and have him/her set up the router for you. Otherwise, you will spend countless hours on this and other fora before you get what you need.

And when I said no offense, is really that I'm talking honestly, without intention to insult anyone.

:D

8. jurahilly macrumors newbie

no connection when WEP enabled

i'm having trouble connecting my macbook to my linksys 2.4ghz (version1) router. When WEP is disabled the macbook connects just fine. When I enable WEP however, I get a message on my macbook telling me the password i entered is not correct for the the selected network.

I tried both 128 bit and 64 bit encryption in the router's WEP settings, but nothing seems to work. I used the router password.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

9. RainMeister macrumors member

This is why I threw out $200 worth of Linksys hardware (wireless router and 2 range expanders) in favor of the Airport Extreme. Install was painless, signal strength superior to my earlier setup, and reliability has been bulletproof. Do yourselves a favor and invest in the Airport Extreme.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Set up PPPoE on the first page on the router and computer should work fine.

As with security, you should read the user guide on the CD.

Or better just a get an AEBS.