Macbook Pro, iMac or just keep what ive got.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nintendolinky, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Nintendolinky macrumors 6502

Hello everyone, im a university student in the UK and next week im planning on buying a Macbook Pro. Ive decided on the lower 2.4ghz 15" model, with an upgrade on the ram to 4gb. What i would like to know is if it will be better than my current 2ghz 3gb ram aluminium iMac. i love this machine so much that ive decided not to get rid of it once i get my macbook pro, so theoretically i will have three computers as im also keeping my MSI netbook, as its a great windows machine that i use every now and again.
    Shall i get the macbook pro and keep my imac and msi netbook or sell my imac and netbook and just keep my macbook pro.
    Im studying business at university if anyone would like to know.

2. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

With the newer chips and faster FSB, it's bound to be faster than your iMac. However, for what you're probably doing, it's probably not worth the money, especially since you've got a neat little netbook for surfing, notetaking, email, etc.

I love my white 2.16 white iMac, and I use my MBP at home. Unless you truly need a second computer, I'd stick with the iMac.

3. Nintendolinky thread starter macrumors 6502

Ive now also realized i could sell my netbook and move my current vista license over to my macbook pro. Argh confused.

4. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Just sell all and buy one nice 15" 2.53ghz mbp! Maybe even add a 24" LED ACD. :D

5. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Or, keep your iMac for a couple of more years, and buy one of the new twelve core macbook pros when they come out in oh-whatever.

Geez, am I the angel standing on one of your shoulder's or the other guy?

6. Nintendolinky thread starter macrumors 6502

lol thats funny :) , im buying a macbook pro lower model as i dont really have a lot of money and i want a macbook pro so bad.

7. apolloa macrumors 604

apolloa

Keep your iMac, it's a nice machine and doesn't take up much space. Keep the Netbook if you really want, it is a good way to use windows. Then IMO I'd get a Mac Book, not the Pro. Do you really need the bigger screen, firewire and the 9600GT? If your doing business then we're talking, email, spreadsheets, powerpoint (Gotta love em eh?) and word docs right?

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'd just install OS X on the Wind and stick with the iMac. Upgrade later when you need it ;)

9. jfox8 macrumors newbie

I would just keep what you have. You have a desktop for home and a MSI Wind U100(?) for when you are on the go. I had the same setup and loved it, the MSI is perfect for casual computer usage. I would not want to lug around a Macbook Pro if I didn't have to. The itch to get a new computer is understandable, but I think you will regret it in the long run... As another person said, a Macbook is the better alternative if you have to have a new laptop. Thats what I would do...

10. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Why not wait until 10.6 is out to see what new features it will bring? If you get one now, and you're tight on funds, you'll kick yourself for having to spend the extra $130. Save up until then, and you can use that money to buy a midrange system if you want.

There's a difference between 'no' and simply 'not now'...