Macbook Pro + iMac or Macbook Pro + iPad?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by westmeadow, Dec 4, 2011.

1. westmeadow macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook Pro (mid 2009) Which would you recommend out of these two choices: Getting an iPad and using my Macbook Pro as a desktop or getting an iMac and waiting for my Macbook Pro to die (or come close) then get an iPad?

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

iMac and iPad 2 IMO.

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

iMac and iPad 2 IMO.

4. Lc* macrumors newbie

definately get the iPad just because they are amazing!

as for the iMac or MacBook i think it overall depends on your personal preference whether you want a desktop or laptop :)

5. westmeadow thread starter macrumors newbie

To Clarify...

Thanks for the responses! I definitely agree the iMac-iPad combo is the best. My question is, which should I buy first? I already have the Macbook Pro, and I'm not going to spend the money it would take to own all three at once. So the choices are basically Macbook Pro + iPad2 or Macbook Pro + iMac. Once my Pro dies (I'll give it another 5 years hopefully!), I'll get the iMac-iPad2 combo, or whatever neat gadgets have been unleashed at that point. But until then, would the iMac or iPad2 better compliment the Pro I already have?
    Thanks.

6. Fandongo macrumors 6502

It depends, I'm into photo/video and almost bought an iPad 2 the day it came out, assuming there would be an updated DSLR utility app or something that could make it a reasonable monitoring alternative...

Glad i didn't assume they would make it a functional tool instead of (for me) an overgrown toy, so I wait.

...the 27" screen is sick!

7. cplush macrumors member

It also depends on what you are using your MacBook pro for now......I love my ipad2 but find that sometimes it doesnt have the guts or the multi window ability for long library sessions or multitasking. I love it, it just has limitations that a laptop doesn't have.

8. caligomez macrumors regular

caligomez

Sell the MBP, and use the funds for the iPad.. I mean, you were going to buy the iMac anyways, right? Then you'd have the iPad+iMac combo..

Have you checked how much you can fetch for that MPB?

9. natekettles macrumors member

natekettles

My honest thoughts: 27" iMac + iPad.
    I would possibly go for 13" Air + external screen instead of iMac.

10. robbie12345 macrumors 6502

since you already have a pro you probably don't need another portable device also the iPad 3 is coming out very soon so i would wait for that

the iPad is not a full functioning portable device it really isn't as great as they make it out to be ( don't get me wrong i have an iPad 2 and love it as a gaming and multimedia device it is awesome but for a laptop replacement it won't do)

the 13 inch mbp would make a horrible desktop due to the tiny and low pixelated screen

i would go iMac and mbp because with the iMac you really have a desktop and the mbp is a laptop

11. westmeadow thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the great input. I think I've decided to get an iMac and hold onto my Macbook Pro for now. It's not very old, but it's old enough that I think it's worth more than I could sell it for. I figure when I do get an iPad, it will be an alternative portable device. My Pro is great, but robbie12345 is right, it couldn't make it as a desktop alternative. I'll get an iMac and use that at home, and use my Pro when I'm on the go. In 3-5 years, I'll finally get a tablet. An iPad could handle about 90% of the stuff I do on computers (and do it well!), and the other 10% isn't stuff I'd probably try on a 13" laptop anyway, so I'll use my iMac for the more intensive stuff for sure. I'd love to have an iPad now, but I don't think I'm ready to let go of my Pro quite yet.
    Thanks again for the responses. It's nice to have an active community of fellow Mac-users!

12. Rondofan9 macrumors member

If you're going to have a desktop and a laptop, go with the macbook air not the pro. First off, the air uses an SSD which is a huge bonus, it's also more portable, lightweight, and sleek which we all like to see in a laptop. The memory isn't a drawback because I'd assume if you have a desktop, that's where your major projects will occur, even if that's not the case, you can still put everything on your desktop through iCloud, or usb transfers. Take the macbook air to school, work, vacation, take it back home, dump everything onto desktop, then you have a clean mba for the next vacation or school/work day.

But if you insist on having a mbp instead of air, then so be it... regardless, i'd pick a desktop (iMac) over an iPad no matter what.

13. westmeadow thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I'd get an Air too if I was buying a laptop. But I already HAVE the Pro from a time when it was the clear choice in Macbooks (mid-2009).