MacBook Pro Import

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ImperialX, Jul 30, 2007.

1. ImperialX macrumors 65816

ImperialX

Hi guys. I'm new to the scene and I'm wanting to buy a 15" 2.2Ghz MacBook Pro (It's perfect for me), however the MacBook Pro is just way too overpriced here in New Zealand. It costs $3,399NZD (Converts to $2,590USD) here, compared to $1994USD in America. I feel like I'm getting ripped off so I want to import one. MacMall, MacConnection all support Worldwide Shipping.

What I want to know is: Are there any hidden costs? I'm not talking about postage. Are there import fees and things like that? Any dangers in importing a Mac? Thanks in advance. :)

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

I remember at one point, it was cheaper to fly from Melbourne to Hawaii, stay there for a couple of days, buy a PowerBook G4, and fly back home than it was to buy one from Australia. They massively overestimate the USD to AUD/NZD conversion sometimes.

I'm not sure about the importing costs, but even if there were hidden costs, it looks like it'd be cheaper to get it imported to NZ than it would be to buy it locally.

The only thing you'll need to get is an adapter for your power sockets, as a US MacBook Pro will come with a US power adapter. There may be some people at the MR Marketplace who might be able to sell or trade you one :)

3. bartelby macrumors Core

The power adapters will cope withpretty much any domestic mains power in the enitre world. All you'll need to change is the plug that attaches to the transformer. You could buy an iPod mains charger and use the plug from that.

4. ImperialX thread starter macrumors 65816

ImperialX

Thanks

Thanks for the replies guys. I was a bit concerned with the voltage problem because I just asked my American teacher today about imports. He brought his laptop and a Printer from America, and the printer blew up when he plugged it in WITH THE ADAPTER! :eek: The laptop was OK though. So what do you think?

P.S. Voltage here is 230v.

5. mrbrown macrumors 6502

The laptop shouldn't blow up - as far as I'm aware, Apple has been packing world-aware power supplies in their laptops for quite some time. You just need what they call the "Apple World Travel Adapter Kit"... it includes the plugs you need to be able to plug the power supply in anywhere in the world.

6. ImperialX thread starter macrumors 65816

ImperialX

Warranty

Well, I think I get it. No import fees, and no blowing up. That's perfect. So say if I purchased one from MacMall (Easiest Way to ship to NZ, as Amazon can't ship to NZ), how does the warranty work?

P.S. Does anyone know why Macs are so expensive here:confused:?

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

8. ImperialX thread starter macrumors 65816

ImperialX

Thank you for your suggestion, but surely you're aware that if I buy a MacBook Pro in America it would only cost me $2590NZD. It's still quite a difference from $3155NZD from that site, wouldn't you agree? ;)

EDIT: Oh I see. The "Memory Hog Macbook Pro 15"" for $3649NZD is indeed an incredible price. Saves $1000NZD xD. However I simply don't have the money to buy it. My Max Budget is $3000 (Yes I know. It's very little)

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If you can find a reseller in the US who will sell internationally then go for it. Most of the places I can find either won't sell internationally or exclude Apple products from international sales :(

10. ImperialX thread starter macrumors 65816

ImperialX

:eek: So MacMall, who claim to be able to ship worldwide can't ship to New Zealand? That's just shocking!

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm pretty sure I tried MacMall when I was first investigating this. Amazon, Small Dog, Other World, MacConnection...

I ended up buying from Terra Soft who no longer sell internationally and no longer sell current Macs for that matter.

12. ImperialX thread starter macrumors 65816

ImperialX

Hmm...I see. Thank you for your information. You saved me so much time. :rolleyes: So do you think it's possible if a friend in America buys the MacBook Pro and ship it to me? Are there hidden costs in that?

13. robPOD macrumors 6502

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

15. ImperialX thread starter macrumors 65816

ImperialX

That's an awesome site! I think I'll be using this one.

So, when is the GST paid? When I purchase my Mac? Or is it when is arrives at the customs? lol Sorry I'm a big n00b in importing things. :p

16. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

When I imported mine in 2003, I got a GST bill from the courier, then they paid customs.

17. ImperialX thread starter macrumors 65816

ImperialX

Great Advices!

Thanks for all the advices. You guys rock! I've decided to wait for Leopard, as I'm not in such a rush. I might even wait till March for that rumored Pentryn MBP.

18. Yixian macrumors 65816

Anyone know how this can be done from the US to the UK? I could afford a new US iMac and an iPhone (providing it's ~£300 in the UK when it's released) for the price of an iMac in the UK.

Is there any way to buy a mac at a US price, pay for it to be shipped, and avoid VAT and customs in the UK?