Macbook/Pro in 2050 - futuristic view

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by u49aa2, May 18, 2009.

1. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

i received this email about a water resistance phone. Considering the number of time i see people spilling liquid on their laptop, i was just questioning why apple can't do something like this for extra few bucks;

Attached Files:

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Something like that would probably trap too much heat ... the MB/MBPs run hot enough already.

3. applekid macrumors 68020

If anybody can make cheap, water-resistant computer components, maybe. I don't think Intel is going waterproof anytime soon... :D

4. u49aa2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

I am not suggesting the whole case to be water resistance. My understanding that the MB/MBP dissipate heat mainly through its back rather than the keyboard. So if they make the keyboard side water resistance (which is the common place to spill liquid) that will save many people and the repair centres a lot of hassle. I think some of IBM laptops have this quality.

5. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

I imagine it'd be more than a "few extra bucks" to apply the same tech to a device with a 13 to 17 inch screen

6. u49aa2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

Don't forget, if this happen sales will go up resulting in massive production and thus lower prices!

7. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I guess water resistant phones would be a good idea if I were a scubba diver or had to swim to run away from the CIA?

8. u49aa2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you need to wait until 2050 to see a girl naked in a bathtub, I would seek help now! :p

10. Psychmike macrumors regular

It is important to remember, however, that the interests of the customer are not necessarily the interests of the corporation. A corporation is unlikely to implement a feature unless it benefits through increased sales or profits.

Making a laptop water resistant would be great for customers, but what does the corporation get out of it? Currently, someone who accidentally damages their laptop through spillage has a couple of options: 1) pay for the repair; or 2) buy a new laptop. Neither of the identified options are particularly bad for the corporation. It's unlikely that the person will simply stop using a laptop. Of course they could switch to another brand, but Apple has a certain amount of loyalty in its customer base and a monopoly on hardware that uses its OS and few competitors have weather sealing.

Some companies will advertise weather sealing as a feature, but they generally cost more. The Toughbook line, for example, is priced at considerably more than equivalent spec'd laptops from the same manufacturers. The Nikon D300's primary benefit over the more affordable D90 is weather sealing.

At point of purchase, 'sexy' features are always going to dominate buying decisions for the GENERAL public over arguably more important features. A few years ago, some laptop manufacturers were offering IPS-type displays but MOST people weren't willing to pay more so now almost every one uses TN displays. The knowledgeable folks who visit this forum make up a very small percentage of the general public.

All of this is to say that corporations often are not stupid and overlooking easy answers. The world is often broken (and stays broken) because it's in someone's interest for it to be that way.

Best,
    Michael

11. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

There's actually a processes where you dip any electronic device in this liquid and it makes it water proof. I forgot where I saw it but it was pretty amazing.

12. MVApple macrumors 6502a

The Lenovo thinkpad line has (or at least had) a feature where there was a spillage hole in the keyboard. So if you spilled liquid on the keyboard, the liquid would travel down the hole and not into the components of the laptop. The thinkpad line is a business line of notebooks though.

There is no conspiracy theory. The reason more corporations don't do this is because the costs involved in designing such a mechanism is not marketable enough to get the average consumer to pay up for it. Business users are a different set of customers though.

The person that ruins their laptop by spilling something on it isn't very common either. And those that do can still save the laptop by drying everything out well and turning the laptop off immediately.

13. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

I hope by 2050 we'll be seeing cooler features in a laptop than possible water resistance!

Macbook a 2050: 2 USB 20.0 ports, 1 VR* port, foldable screen, some kind of extremely advanced liquid cooling system, 12 core CPU for entry level models, a quarter of an inch in thickness, OS X 30.0.0, 10Tb's SSD storage, 100GB's of ram... =D

*virtual reality :cool:

14. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Because it would cost millions in R&D and push the price of the computer way up.

Take a look at the price of a Panasonic Toughbook (water proof, shock proof, bloody unbreakable laptop used by the Army), that should be enough to put you off. They cost about $4k for a decent, kitted out model.

Not only that, but you would never be able to put in anything more than a slow 1.6 Core 2 Duo if you have no ventilation. As you can see the Toughbook is already a good 2" thick.

15. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

> you dip any electronic device in this liquid and it makes it water proof.

[​IMG] Come again??!

16. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

they just need a liquid barrier on the key board and speakers, that would be great. but then apple would miss out on potential sales. windows makes money through bugged out progaming, apple makes it by easily breakable hardware lol

17. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

In 2050 there will be 256-core mobile CPUs that will run so cool they won't need a heatsink or fansink. But then again, I'll be 62 years old then...so I probably won't care. :eek:

18. Hayduke60 macrumors regular

Come twentyfifty computers will be a small case surgically implanted in the base of the skull. Most likely implanted at birth as it will have serial number and tracking info built right into it. They will be tied directly into the cerebral cortex along with ties to the optic and auditory nerves. The battery will be a nuclear button cell. The glowing apple branding will shine through the skin on your neck....and turn red after you reach the age of twenty one...... water proofedness will be a moot point.

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

dissdnt means this:
    http://www.golden-shellback.com/

20. u49aa2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

I think this will only happen in the afterlife!

[/QUOTE] If you need to wait until 2050 to see a girl naked in a bathtub, I would seek help now! [/QUOTE]

:D Don't worry i am not waiting until then!

[/QUOTE] they just need a liquid barrier on the key board and speakers, that would be great. but then apple would miss out on potential sales. windows makes money through bugged out progaming, apple makes it by easily breakable hardware lol [/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more, especially the apple thing ;)

21. zero85ZEN macrumors regular

Check out Ray Kurzweil's The Age of Spiritual Machines. It's a good read about what might be coming in the future.... ;)