Macbook Pro in lap?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tritons, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Tritons macrumors 6502

Hei
    I know MacBook Air is perfect for browsing net and doing stuff while it's sits in lap but how is this with Pro (13'' to be precise) I'm considering weight and how hot it gets. Thank you.

2. simsaladimbamba

It is okay for normal day use and if you don't block the vent (under the hinge), then it should be fine. If you use an application with high CPU usage though, or watch Flash videos (which use a lot of CPU), the CPU gets hotter of course and it is up to you, if you can stand the head or need some kind of cushion or similar object to put between your lap and laptop.

3. negativzero macrumors 6502

If you're a guy, you need to protect your nuts, also if you're doing anything intensive, you might risk getting lap-burn since the aluminum is supposed to act to conduct the heat away from the internals.

4. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

When the fans get crazy it can get very hot on bare skin so be aware of that. If you are just doing normal browsing and what not, it's not a problem

5. Tritons thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you guys. Still even with SSD why Macbook Pro get's so hot since Macbook Air really dosn't. (Or I have never pushed it to the limits?)

A bit of offtopic question - what is this hardware sound when you turn Macbook Pro on?

6. simsaladimbamba

High CPU usage.
    Probably.
    Depends on what sound and MBP, as there is the startup chime, the HDD access due to reading from it and on some older models the checking of the optical disk drive (ODD), if there is a medium inside it may need to read from.

7. Tritons thread starter macrumors 6502

I have watched lot of unboxing videos and when they turn it on there is some kind of noise that Macbook Air dosn't have.
    Something like this - http://youtu.be/ZrEE6Wy1Fmw

8. simsaladimbamba

While the answer is in the comments, I will repeat it here.
    It is the optical disk drive (ODD) checking itself for any inserted medium. If you insert a medium into the ODD, you will hear a similar sound, but newer MBPs don't make that sound anymore, due to a firmware upgrade I suppose.
    My 2009 MBP does not make that sound, my 2008 MB and MBP did make that sound and my 2004 iBook did make that sound too.

9. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

I use a 17" MBP on my lap a lot - not a problem, but it does get pretty warm after a while. Certainly wouldn't want to be wearing shorts (or using it that way on a seriously hot day!).

10. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I had a 13 MBP - I liked using it on my laptop - a few times it would get a little hot.

11. iforbes macrumors 6502

On my late 2011 13" I still hear the optical disk drive noise on startup (original question) but not on lid open. Are you saying that the ODD should never make the noise due to firmware update?

12. simsaladimbamba

That I don't really know, I just remember hearing about some firmware updates removing that check on some MBPs.
    As the noise is not harmful, I never sweat about it, thus I never investigated the complete story.

13. Tritons thread starter macrumors 6502

14. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

I think they all make that noise. My early 2011 does on a power up only.