Macbook Pro inexplicably slow

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hagar, Oct 15, 2010.

1. hagar macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I have a 2 year old Macbook Pro 15 inch with 4Gb of RAM. Ever since switching to Snow Leopard (clean install) it's been very slow. I decided to do another clean install this summer, but it's still very unresponsive:

- Safari 5 (very slow and beachballing all the time)
    - Starting Office 11 applications can take over a minute
    - Finder
    - Switching apps can take up to 20 seconds
    - Mail
    - iTunes

The problem is that I can't find anything wrong with it. Clean software install, no apparent hardware defects, no errors in the logs, ...

I already did the hardware test but it also says nothing is wrong. What else can I do? It's clearly not normal my 4 year old iMac is faster...
    Any tips?

2. mdickson macrumors regular

3. TJones macrumors regular

Definitely do the memtest thing. I had a stick of ram go bad on me this week. Corrupted patch downloaded, applications crashing and chrome blowing up all of a sudden and everything just seemed to be getting slower and slower. Booted up while holding the D key and performed a hardware test and bingo bad ram. Put the ones that came with the system back in and everything picked right back up.

4. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

5. TJones macrumors regular

Start your computer while holding the 'D' key and it will boot into the hardware test. It takes a little longer to start but be patient.