macbook pro insurance/applecare?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stefmesman, May 11, 2011.

1. stefmesman macrumors 6502

okey so heres the prob.

i will get an insurance on my macbook pro 15'' against theft. even thou. this insurance also covers damage. wich costs me 7bucks a month.

coverage:
    theft
    damage

should i still need applecare? cause the way i see it the only benefit is that i have free telephone support? or am i mistaking something?

thanks in advance :)

stef

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Insurance covers accidents, theft, damage. AppleCare covers manufacturing defects and provides tech support. Oranges and apples.

3. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

safeware and applecare if you want to be PC about it :p

4. stefmesman, May 11, 2011
    Last edited: May 11, 2011

stefmesman thread starter macrumors 6502

shouldnt manufacturing defects be covered anyhow since its not my fault :rolleyes:?

so what would you guys recommend? both?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

6. stefmesman thread starter macrumors 6502

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, call Apple. They can explain everything to you, or you can read the links I posted, which have all the details. The original warranty includes 90 days of phone support. AppleCare extends that to 3 years. Read the information I posted.

8. stefmesman thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks GGJ. ill see what i can find out. ;)

9. iStudentUK, May 12, 2011
    Last edited: May 12, 2011

iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Manufacturing defects are covered better in the EU than the US. In the EU AppleCare is less important, but Macs cost more. As you are based in the NL AppleCare is less necessary, as the law steps in. It takes some persistence but I usually had success when dealing with faulty products here in the UK (never had to deal with Apple, fortunately nothing has broken yet!). It's up to you, but considering how much AppleCare is it may be worth reading up on consumer rights and using them.

Warranties and insurance are always a gamble. You often don't need them, but it costs loads if you have to pay for a repair yourself. I add computers to my home insurance as it makes it cheap compared to dedicated laptop insurance.

10. stefmesman thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks! yes i think that ''technical damage'' would be covered by my insurance as well. ill go figure it out... if anyone has any additions. please feel free to respond.

11. palpatine macrumors 68040

This has all been said before, but:

I have renter's insurance with replacement cost coverage. I will get computer coverage that will cost a bit more, but protect against accidents. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I think anyone with an expensive computer like the MBP would be wise to get this kind of coverage.

As for Applecare, I am on the fence. You have a year to think about it, so there is no rush.

12. stefmesman thread starter macrumors 6502

i get apple care for 290,- instead of 350 if i buy it now. sweet deal? or would you say. wait it out for a year?

13. ormie macrumors regular

ormie

It is worth having AppleCare as I have been having major problems with my MacBook Pro and, if I had to pay for the repairs I couldn't do so as it would have been cheeper buying a new one. I can highly recommend AppleCare.