Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdcuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
All right, I've just got a macbook pro 13" finally, and looking to take it to collage and out and about...been looking at some insurance for it. In your option is insurance worth it? and any good companies you guys know of? Protect my bubble seams quite good.
cheers

mdcuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
Apple care is only an extended warranty and doesn't cover lost,theft, accidental damage. would have liked an educated answer. :)

ET3SW

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2011
TX
I would check with your insurance company first and foremost. They tend to be cheaper and way more reliable.

For example i have a policy on my laptop that i bundled in with my Auto and Property. It covers my laptop for Full replacement value and it is covered worldwide and it only costs me a couple bucks a month.

I know you said you were going to college so i am assuming you probably don't have property insurance but you may have auto insurance so you could check with them.

Also most insurance companies allow children up to a certain age (I think 25) to be able to be under their parents policies. So you may also be able to get it through your parents insurance company.

All right, I've just got a macbook pro 13" finally, and looking to take it to collage and out and about...been looking at some insurance for it. In your option is insurance worth it? and any good companies you guys know of? Protect my bubble seams quite good.
cheers

IllIllIll

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2011
u dont need insurance if u know how to take care of a computer

You're kidding right?

You appear to be the only person in the world who does everything perfectly, doesn't cause or is the victim of accidents, and never gets anything stolen. I assume you don't have auto, home, or health insurance either? After all, you don't need insurance if you know how to take care of your car, your house, or yourself, right?

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
don't feed trolls

Actually, does anyone know how to ignore users here? I read that it's possible, but clicking on randomrazr's name and profile I couldn't figure out how to do it.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
Statefarm Personal Articles Policy.

Coverage for about 3k worth of kit is 60 bucks/yr for non professional use.

No deductible for the first incident though i've heard after that it's about $1k (this is from photography firms).

Great protection.

don't feed trolls

Actually, does anyone know how to ignore users here? I read that it's possible, but clicking on randomrazr's name and profile I couldn't figure out how to do it.

Click on the user's name, click on "User Lists" which is under their username and title, then hit "Add to Ignore List".

randomrazr

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2011
Yes, and it shows.

What does being in high school have to do with anything? I'm sure you have health insurance through your parents, and if you drive a car your folks probably are paying car insurance premiums for you. Maybe you should tell them to knock it off because you're perfect and you know SO much more than everyone else.

----------

randomrazr's answer: "Don't get mugged."

yes that is my answer

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
I know you said you were going to college so i am assuming you probably don't have property insurance but you may have auto insurance so you could check with them.

Also most insurance companies allow children up to a certain age (I think 25) to be able to be under their parents policies. So you may also be able to get it through your parents insurance company.

If your primary residence is your parents, and you are residing at a dorm in school, depending on the insurance company your parents are using, you could either schedule it on the policy like you would an engagement ring, but make sure no deductible would apply, or you could do what Eddyisgreat is saying below...

Statefarm Personal Articles Policy.

Coverage for about 3k worth of kit is 60 bucks/yr for non professional use.

No deductible for the first incident though i've heard after that it's about $1k (this is from photography firms).

Great protection.

This is what I did, and I don't believe that they force a deductible on you after the first offense, at least not in NJ, other states may be different though..I had an insured watch stolen from a gym locker, they replaced it with a brand new one in less than a weekm and my deductible remained at zero. All they need is a receipt to write it along with application questions.

For the record, I believe a homeowners policy would cover it as well, but you are limited in what the coverage is (Theft, fire, hurricane), and deductibles would apply, if you have a $1000 deductible it wouldn't be worth the claim.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
All right, I've just got a macbook pro 13" finally, and looking to take it to collage and out and about...been looking at some insurance for it.

Here is another company you can look at if you are a student..
http://www.studentinsurancepartners.com/

Is it worth it? Hard to say. Peace of mind is worth something in itself. You always hope you never need it, but you will be happy you have insurance if you ever do. Unfortunately accidents can and do happen.

crobbins

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2006
Colorado
Getting back on track :rolleyes:.. +1 for the State Farm Personal Articles Policy. I've had my computers on it since 2006. I had a nephew spill something on one of my MacBook Pros and all I had to do was call State Farm, get a quote from Apple and in less than a week I had a check at my door to replace my computer. It really is great service!

simply amazing

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2011
Getting back on track :rolleyes:.. +1 for the State Farm Personal Articles Policy. I've had my computers on it since 2006. I had a nephew spill something on one of my MacBook Pros and all I had to do was call State Farm, get a quote from Apple and in less than a week I had a check at my door to replace my computer. It really is great service!

do you need another policy with state farm (home or auto, for example) to get this personal articles policy? or can i just go ahead and call state farm and start it on its own and insure what i need to insure?

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
do you need another policy with state farm (home or auto, for example) to get this personal articles policy? or can i just go ahead and call state farm and start it on its own and insure what i need to insure?

This is what I did. No other policies w/ state farm, just the personal articles. Expect to be spammed in the mail though lol.

crobbins

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2006
Colorado

As mentioned by another poster, you do not need another policy with State Farm. This is the only policy I have with them.

simply amazing

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2011
This is what I did. No other policies w/ state farm, just the personal articles. Expect to be spammed in the mail though lol.

As mentioned by another poster, you do not need another policy with State Farm. This is the only policy I have with them.
thats great news to hear. thanks!

i live in NJ, so i'm hoping the premiums here will be similar to yours eddy. $60/year with $0 deductible for the first incident? and $1000 deductible thereafter?

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
$60/year with $0 deductible for the first incident? and $1000 deductible thereafter?

I was only given the small premium w/ no deductible. I've never filed a claim, so i'm not 100% sure if there is a deductible afterwards. The $1000 quote is what I read on some photography forums, but I don't know if they were classified as using their equipment professionally (which is under a different policy I think) or personally, so YMMV. One guy above said he didn't have a deductible after the first one.

simply amazing

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2011
I was only given the small premium w/ no deductible. I've never filed a claim, so i'm not 100% sure if there is a deductible afterwards. The $1000 quote is what I read on some photography forums, but I don't know if they were classified as using their equipment professionally (which is under a different policy I think) or personally, so YMMV. One guy above said he didn't have a deductible after the first one.

awesome, thank you!

Vook

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2011
Merica
thats great news to hear. thanks!

i live in NJ, so i'm hoping the premiums here will be similar to yours eddy. $60/year with $0 deductible for the first incident? and $1000 deductible thereafter?

That price is about right for Jersey.

Takashi

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
yes its called APPLECARE

I didn't know apple is into the insurance business.

u dont need insurance if u know how to take care of a computer

Of course, you don't need a brain to use a computer. But again, most people choose to think before they post.

+++++

Anyway, back to the main topic.

Getting insurance from your auto/house insurance broker:
Good - Cheaper, Depending on your policy, your computer might be "included" already.
Bad - If you make a claim, it might affect your policy as a whole (i.e. rate increase), but again, this situation will depend on your policy.

Getting insurance from 3rd party.
Good - Filing a claim will most likely not cause any prince increase to your home/auto policy. (i.e. you pay the same to insure your house).
Bad - more $$, filing a claim might be tricky (i.e. you have to include a police report, pictures, serial number, ...etc.), or the insurance company goes out of business during your insured period.

In short, good luck and read the fine print before purchasing!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.