Macbook Pro Insurance

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yapstick, Jun 14, 2010.

1. yapstick macrumors newbie

After purchasing a 17" Macbook Pro, I am looking for insurance to give me peace of mind when out in the wild with this expensive kit. I plan to leave the UK to travel round Australia, beginning in August/September - possibly for a year.

Having looked around on the net and various printed sources, I can't seem to find a decent company to go with; with one advertising Mac book insurance, but with a useless limit of £12,000...

I also have a DSLR Camera. This would bring the value up to about £3,200.
    I intend to do a lot of travelling with this kit.

Does anyone know if there's a company out there who provides this level of insurance.

Any help or pointers would be greatfully appreciated.
    Many thanks in advance...

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

That kind of thing is usually covered with your homeowners' insurance...

3. yapstick thread starter macrumors newbie

I doubt house insurance would cover my kit on the other side of the world though...?

4. yapstick thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Identity Fraud macrumors 6502

You can always ask your insurance agent if there are any endorsments that grant coverage outside of your coverage area.

6. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

I've got Personal Articles insurance on my MPB's and cameras - it cost VERY little and covers theft and damage and all that good stuff. I run my insurance through state farm.

For example, to insure my $1400 MBP it cost me $44 per year.

It does cover damage and theft internationally as well. My wife and I are both full-time missionaries, and this is what we use

7. yapstick thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys :)

Mac-Key - I wonder if we have the 'personal articles' thing or something similar over here in the UK? I'll have to check it out.

Thanks again....

8. Phurious macrumors newbie

+1 For the Personal Articles Policy. I insured my MBP ($3900) USD for $86 dollars a year, and that covers everything. Loss, theft, drop, and did I mention there is zero deductible? :D

9. Yang2 Gui3zi macrumors newbie

Yang2 Gui3zi

Try adding the MacBook Pro to your travel insurance.

Various companies provide travel insurance. The most important purposes of such policies are to provide coverage for expenses resulting from medical emergencies or from delays due to flight cancellations.

However, the policies often also cover damage to baggage or its theft. By paying an additional premium, you can cover your expensive equipment by naming it and its value. It helps to send to the insurer photos of your equipment and its serial numbers -- and keep copies of the photos in a safe place.

I got the best price on travel insurance from the same company that supplies my homeowner's and auto insurance, because they gave me a discount based on my not having made any claims for years.

If you do buy travel insurance, read the policy before you travel and keep a copy on some file-storage site. You may be required to file reports with police authorities in the case of equipment being stolen.