MacBook Pro Intel HD 4000 Graphics & Windows 7 Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aevelasquez, Jul 30, 2012.

1. aevelasquez macrumors regular

I just read somewhere in the new retina display MacBook Pro as well as all the old models don't have support on the Windows 7 side for the integrated Intel HD 3000 and 4000 graphics cards. I was wondering why this was, as well as what effects might have on graphics performance if any, and if there were any known plans to patch support at some point in the future?

2. Drask macrumors regular

It's unlikely, it's been like this since always.

Performance wise, you'll get less battery time under more heat.

3. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I won't be patched.
    It is because of Apple idiotic implementation of graphics switching.

Most notebooks with gpu switching like Optimus, AMD Dynamic Switching have the CPU connected to the displays (internal & external) and route the signal over the flexible display interface to the display.
    Apple doesn't use that interface. They connect both GPUs independently to an extra chip (multiplexer) that decides which signal to forward to a display.
    Now external is only connect to the dedicated GPU in all notebooks that have such and there are no Windows drivers to support that whole wiring mess. They would have to specifically write those which probably isn't trivial and they simply won't.
    If they did it like all other notebook manufacturers all it would require was an Optimus driver and maybe a little bug fixing. Those drivers exist for Windows and probably would work when installed just like that even if they didn't come with bootcamp from Apple.

They say that their implementation saves a bit of battery when running the dedicated GPU. Truth is that is maybe 1-2 W they save probably less and they loose it all again with an inflexible GPU switching. Apple's way requires a restart of some frameworks and reloading of drivers. Optimus would be totally seemless with full speed and it could actually switch based on load regardless if an App is already running. Which means an App open in the background doesn't require the dGPU to stay on. It could return to integrated without any bugs and switch back once the dGPU is actually needed.
    Apple's implementation is complicated, buggy and requires a lot of framework reloading.
    With Optimus they wouldn't have to keep the dGPU running for stuff like skype. They definitely waste more energy than they save which is why everybody forces the Intel GPU almost always.

Use Windows for Gaming and such stuff. Don't use it for work in which case get a real Windows notebook. Even the MBP with only Intel GPUs have shoddy mobility in the drivers. Samsung or Sony get better battery life out of similar hardware on Windows.

There won't be any GPU switching on Windows until they change their design to what everybody else does. Since they didn't change it with the Retina MBP I doubt it will happen. They could write a chipset driver for Windows but I doubt they ever will. Maybe if you start some petitions and get many people to complain.
    They make billions they can easily afford some guys to write such a driver for Windows. The result would still be worse than Optimus or ADS.