Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

menziep

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
Who?

is waiting for a Macbook Pro with Intel Merom as there is a number of Benifits

1.More Battery Life
2.64bit
3.Virtualization Technology
4.2-4MB L2

Please Post Your Comments

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
I am planning on getting a Macbook Pro in a few years probably so all of that sounds good to me, and when the time comes if there are rumours to that effect I will wait. But at the moment it seems like a long way off as intel are still working on it.

92GTA

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2006
Anguilla, BWI
From what I've researched so far, we should be able to do a processor swap so long as Apple provides a Firmware upgrade for us. Of course it's a soldered chip so hopefully you know someone who can get it done for you unless you can do it.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
The Yonah Core Duo does support VT, so you can cross that one off the list of reasons to wait.

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
I can wait till next year and then I will buy. Mainly because it will mean a computer with 10.5 and iLife '07 saving me an upgrade fee. But if that means Merom too I'll be delighted.

howesey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2005
92GTA said:
From what I've researched so far, we should be able to do a processor swap so long as Apple provides a Firmware upgrade for us. Of course it's a soldered chip so hopefully you know someone who can get it done for you unless you can do it.
The north bridge is not compatible, and the socket will eb different. So no Merom in current iMacs and MacBooks I'm afraid.

92GTA

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2006
Anguilla, BWI
I read that an actual Intel PR rep confirmed that they are the same socket and that there will be a version which will work. You know there are going to be like 6 different Merom based Intel procs right?

XP Defector

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2006
I'm undecided really, currently going away for 5/6months around December time. If I can wait till September for a Merom 2.3+ghz MacBook + launch problems fixed + longer battery life and the possibility of 4GIG RAM then I might as well wait until I come back, when Leopard and Vista are on the market.

macpastor

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2006
menziep said:
Who?

is waiting for a Macbook Pro with Intel Merom as there is a number of Benifits

1.More Battery Life
2.64bit
3.Virtualization Technology
4.2-4MB L2

Please Post Your Comments

Those features are great, but the best reason to wait is for the quality issues to be taken care of. They suck now. I went through 3 MBP's and said enough is enough!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.