MacBook Pro Intermittent Booting / Freezing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by That-Guy, Apr 16, 2014.

1. That-Guy macrumors 6502a

That-Guy

We'll it seems I have a fairly poorly MacBook Pro in my hand at the moment.

I friend gave it to me to look at as the hard drive was not being detected (previous thread) I thought it would be a case of replacing the hard drive and that's it........sadly not.

The new hard drive turned up and there still seems to be issues.

When you turn it on you get the mac chime, sometimes it will load correctly other times you get a plain white screen. Other times you get a folder with a question mark or also a circle with a line throughout it.

If it does load fine it seems to be good for a few mins then locks up with the coloured wheel as the mouse cursor.

I have run the full apple diagnostics which comes back clear. I have also tried use one memory module at a time in case it's a memory issue.

All connections to the logic board have been removed and plugged back in to ensure they are seated correctly.

Can anyone think of anything else it could be or is the logic board that's given up the ghost? Its annoying as it's only just out the years warranty and Apple have already had to replace his trackpad for him.

Any suggestions, ideas and comments welcome :)

2. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

I believe a HDD/SSD faulty data cable can show similar problems.

Barney

3. That-Guy thread starter macrumors 6502a

That-Guy

I did thing this, I have checked the cable and pins and it all looks good. I guess it could be something internal with the cable, just not sure how a cable can suddenly become faulty.

Can anyone thing of any other possibilities before a cable replacement?